"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Sage, which brands would that be? I was at Costco the other day and saw they had several sets displayed...ay of those good? I thought the Amazon price for the Calphalon set was pretty reasonable myself...looked like quality stuff and gad good reviews.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinquaye View Post
Well, perhaps I should be more specific (hopng she dosn't subscribe to this forum). She suffers from Celiac disease, so any wheat product is out, which is why she doesn't seem to use a mixer much.
Unless she likes to bake and misses baked goods, I'd go with one of the other suggestions, but I wanted to respond to this. I have a friend with celiac disease and came across this site while doing some research on it: Karina-s Kitchen: Recipes from a [Gluten-Free] Goddess

Here she has some tips for gluten-free baking: Karina-s Kitchen: Recipes from a [Gluten-Free] Goddess: Cooking & Baking Gluten-Free: Tips from Karina

So she doesn't have to give up baked goods completely HTH.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I cook for two people, 5-6 meals a day, 7 days a week. What gets used the most?
- All Clad: 12" fry, 3qt. saute.,
- Le Creueset: 7.25 qt. dutch oven. <--- my fav.
- Good 8" chef's knife (10" if she has big hands) <--- I use Forscher Fibrox almost exclusively).
- Kitchen Aid 12 c. food processor <--- OK so I'm bragging, I just purchased it online but haven't received it yet. My [tiny] current 3 c. KAID is finally getting replaced!
Old 12-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Well, I did some shipping around today to get my hands on the stuff. I decided to pass on the stainless because she is used to non-stick. I handled the Calphalon products and they seemed very well made. In particular the "One" line just oozed quality.

I cruised around a bit and scored at TJ Maxx. Got her a 3 Qt sautee pan, 10" skillet, 2.5 Qt Sauce pan and a 4 Qt. Chef's pan (which seemed like a handy mix between a sauce pan and a skillet) - all the Calphalon One Nonstick line. Also picked up a nice cast iron 5.5 Qt dutch oven. They had a 7.5 Qt. Le Creucet there for $130, but the other was half that price and I honestly couldn't tell the difference after examining them both. Plus the Le Creucet was a butt ugly orange color. Anyway, got out the door with the 4 pans and the oven for right around $300. BB&B wanted $200+ just for the 4 Qt. Sautee pan. TJ Maxx also has the 5 Qt One nonstick for $80 - not bad for a $250 pan!! Seemed too big for the two of us so I passed on it.

I figure this will get her started...are there any essential pans I missed? I can always return these if I screwed it up.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I dont knoiw about Costco..I think there's just one of them in Houston and its far from me. I just know what Sam's has..they have a set like Calphon made for them..it's their Members Mark brand..I'm pretty sure tramontina makes it for them.

An 8 inch fry pan (non stick) is a handy size to get,,I use mine quit a bit for eggs and omelets..heating tortillas, etc

Since you got her non stick..does she have wooden spoons, spatulas etc to use in them?? good stocking stuffers
Old 12-09-2007, 08:46 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

You did real well maxinquaye. She will love it. I have Calphalon non stick pans and I can't say enough good things about them. I have that chefs pan too and love it. I get so much use out of it.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #17
Head Chef

So think... what 3 cookware or kitchen items does she use the most?

Go get high quality ones of those.

And if she's been mentioning something particular, be SURE to get that.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

hey sage,

i have a granddaughter named saige. has the i in it. she is 26 years old.

haven't heard it before with her spelling

babe
Old 12-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
maxinquaye,
I couldn't done better, congratulations. Next time, I recommend you also check Home Goods, they have a great selection of cookware for rock bottom prices.