"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-16-2004, 05:51 PM   #1
Head Chef

Need help with my pans

I have a fairly new set of pretty standard cooking pans (Calphalon). They are dishwasher safe. I have noticed that some of them have a small film on the bottom of them that I can't seem to get off. It looks sort of cloudy. I don't want to use anything abrasive because I don't want to scratch my pan. I'm not sure where the film is coming from. I was thinking maybe my water. I have cleaned them by scrubbing and putting in the dishwasher and I have also tried hand cleaning and drying immediately. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I can get rid of it?

Old 12-16-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I have Calphalon and have never noticed this. I would read your instruction manual carefully, and if you don't find the answer, email them:
http://calphalon.com/calphalon/consu...ontactUs.jhtml

Old 12-17-2004, 05:38 AM   #3

Sounds like you have a lime or a calcium film from your water. Sounds like a soak in a vinegar water solution should help you.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
Head Chef

Well I tried the vinegar bath and that didn't seem to work. I might try some CLR if the bottle says it's safe for my pans. It does seem like it could be something from my water. Some of my pans have it and some don't which seems a little strange.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Master Chef

Barkeeper's Friend will probably work. Calphalon recommends it for some of their cookware.

What type of Calphalon do you have?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
Head Chef

Not sure. I guess their the standard aluminum pots? Is barkeeper's friend a cleaner? I've never heard of it.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Yes Barkeepers Friend is a powdered cleaner. Bon Ami is another one that is similar.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
Master Chef

I'm going to assume some things here .... you're Calphalon aluminum is probably going to be anodized and a dark grey color ... and the film you are talking about is on the outside bottom of the pan, not the inside bottom of the pan.

If the film is a white powder looking coating, it's probably a water mineral thing - but since some pots/pans have a "film" and some don't, and the vinegar/water didn't remove it .... I'm guessing that is not the problem.

I'm guessing you are experiencing the same problem I had .... grease. If you cook on one burner and the ajacent burner is not covered, a film of grease can get on the burner and on the area under the burner. Then, when you use that burner ... the grease can heat up enough to smoke, and that is going to form a grease film on the bottom of your pan. Over time, if not removed, this will form a layer similar to what you get when you season a cast-iron skillet (heat fused grease).

For this - you need a spray bottle "Murphy Oil Soap", a can of Bar-Keeper's Friend or Bon-Ami, your regular liquid dishwashing soap, and a green scrubbie like Scotch-Brite or some other brand.

(1) Run some warm (not hot) water on the borrom of the pan to get it just warm and wipe dry.
(2) Spray with Murphy and let sit a few (2-3) minutes
(3) Gently scrub with scrubbie and rinse with warm water
(4) Repeat steps 2-3 a couple of times until the film is gone
(5) Wash with scrubbie and Bar-Keeper's Friend
(6) Wash with liquid dishwashing soap
(7) Rinse and dry

The Murphy oil soap helps melt the grease and the scrubbie is just abrasive enough to help remove it without scratching your pan - unless you really go crazy applying pressure. The Bar-Keeper's Friend is a very gentile abrasive that cuts the oil from the oil soap - but it can leave a powder residue. The dishwashing soap get's rid of the residue from the Bar-Keeper's Friend.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:50 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Barkeeper's Friend will probably work. Calphalon recommends it for some of their cookware.
I also highly recommend Barkeeper's Friend, or if you can't find that, Bon Ami. Both are typically in the cleanser section near the Comet and other household cleaners.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:44 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Calphalon pans are NOT dishwasher safe. The aluminum oxide on the exterior reacts with the high ph of dishwashing detergent. Washing in the dishwasher permanently damages the pan, and voids the warranty.