"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
If I remember correctly flounder is not a very sturdy fish.

A friend of mine used to make a citrus fish out of (fresh) perch and when he couldn't find it used (fresh) flounder. This was done in a broiler... we ended up with fish goo. It was not appetizing.
If flounder is not a sturdy fish then how do they fry it at a restaurant and it stays firm? Don't get me wrong, it tasted good but I would like it a bit firmer.

And it appears that I have a problem with my pan. After I fried the fish and let the pan cool, I went to clean it. It cleaned up very nice and was getting a very nice non-stick coating on it. It seemed rather slick, but not greasy or anything. I should have just left it alone at that point, but I decided to put more crisco in it and season some more (pan was NOT upside down). Well evidently I put too much in and after I let it bake in the oven for an hour or more I shut the oven off and let it cool all night. This morning there was a sticky coating on the bottom of the pan. Again, I probably should have left it alone, but I decided to try to scrape the stickness off with hot water and a vinyl scratch pad. I guess I got a little carried way, because now the pad is blotchy on the bottom. Color ranges from grayish to black. Should I scrape all the seasoning off and start over. I'm not panicking or anything. I know it can be fixed, but just want to go about it the best way.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

You did not do anything wrong by trying to scrape the extra off after the fact. That was actually the right thing to do. From the point you are now I would just re-season just as it is. Use as little fat as possible, while still making sure to coat every surface (both inside and out). after that, cook fatty things with it for a while and that will help. It will get better with time.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Head Chef

Cool deal! I almost made an omelette in the CI pan this morning, even in the state it was in. But I figured it would be better to hold off till the seasoning is more substantial.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
Master Chef

Lodge cast iron RULES!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #15
Head Chef

One of my staple kitchen tools is a broken off blade from an spatula. Cast iron will sometimes get crud stuck, and the blade will make quick work of it. I also use it for scraping cutting boards.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Lodge cast iron RULES!
Yes they do.

My Lodge 14" pizza pan was on taco duty last week. I wanted to post this on the taco thread last week but that thread was shut down.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to PaniniGuy
12 inch skillet

man o man do I love cast iron.

I learned to cook in my great grandmothers skillet (I have an old panotype picture with the thing on the fire!)

Hopefully you really washed it out well with soap to remove the machine oils. I typically will wash it, boil it to remove residue, place it on my BBQ with a heavy canola film and bake it for several hours (no need to worry about the smoke outside!) I re apply the canola several times during the hot cure. One thing to remember is that sometimes there is a wax film on the cast iron if it is coming from overseas!

Then I cook. Never had a problem with my ton of Cast iron skillets, dutch ovens and griddles. Just be sure to clean with water or oil and salt mixes only - no soap after the first washing.

Good luck with the Iron
Old 02-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
One of my staple kitchen tools is a broken off blade from an spatula. Cast iron will sometimes get crud stuck, and the blade will make quick work of it. I also use it for scraping cutting boards.
The plastic scrapers that come with stoneware would be a great for this, and I have 2 of them. The pan is in the oven now with crisco applied lightly with a paper towel. Should be good to go. Saturday it will have some bacon frying in it no doubt! Then maybe some eggs. I'll try one after I get the bacon grease out. I heard that eggs don't do so well in bacon grease.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
You'll like your CI and I bet you'll be going for the 12" soon!
I have a 12", but I wish I had gotten the 10. The 12 is just SO heavy.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
The plastic scrapers that come with stoneware would be a great for this, and I have 2 of them. The pan is in the oven now with crisco applied lightly with a paper towel. Should be good to go. Saturday it will have some bacon frying in it no doubt! Then maybe some eggs. I'll try one after I get the bacon grease out. I heard that eggs don't do so well in bacon grease.
I have a bamboo spatula that I use solely for scraping my CI skillets.