New Lodge 10.25" skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just made fried eggs in the skillet this morning. They tasted great, but I had to be pretty diligent to not let them stick. And I will say that I am not the best fried egg maker in the world!

I generally avoid frying eggs in my CI skillet.

99% of the time I'll break the yolk when turning it over (I avoid using the word "flip" in this case!) Eggs are something I'll keep cooking in my teflon skillet.

I generally avoid frying eggs in my CI skillet.

99% of the time I'll break the yolk when turning it over (I avoid using the word "flip" in this case!) Eggs are something I'll keep cooking in my teflon skillet.

Yeah, I just wanted to try it out. I made 3 eggs though and no broken yolks.

No broken yolks!? You should make a video so that people like me can learn how to do that using CI.

Well, I noticed that they had a tendency to stick. So I stood there and loosened them with a plastic turner now and then. The "flip" wasn't real graceful either. Not even a flip really, more of a gentle rollover. Some of them seemed to release ok and I could scoop them with the turner and flip over.

I remember watching Alton Brown make fried eggs in a teflon pan. He loosened the egg, then flipped them with the pan. He brought the pan up to meet the egg so as to reduce impact. Don't think I'll be doing that with the CI!

Just made bacon, hashbrowns, and omelets in the skillet. Everything worked very well! I was pleasantly suprised that nothing stuck. I remember making hashbrowns in CI before, and they stuck pretty bad. But of course the bacon grease helped the potatoes not stick. I actually had too much grease, and I had to dump some out because the potatoes weren't browning. Then for the omelets I ran some hot water in the pan to get all the excess bits and grease out. Then I added butter, and made omelets. They didn't stick at all! So tell me, could I have just used the bacon grease with the omelets?

I agree about Lodge... Used them for years...

That said, when I moved here without pots & pans, etc., I stopped into a kitchen store to pick up some things.. While looking, I spotted a Calphalon 10" cast iron skillet.. I bought it because I really wanted a CI skillet immediately upon moving into my apartment..

I have to say that I really like this brand of CI skillets..

Ross

New Lodge 10.25" skillet

Along with my new skillet I also got an organizer rack for my frequently used CI pans and skillets.
If this rack works out well, using it vertical or horizontally, I might get another or custom make one out of hardwood boards to organize the dozen+ other CI pots and pans I have which are currently stacked on top of one another in a cabinet beneath the counter and a real pain to retrieve. IMG_0720.jpg

I feel kinda bad for resurrecting this long-dead thread.

But I wanted to mention that when I cook eggs on my CI skillet, the eggs seem to stick more when they're first put on the skillet, then tend to release easily when they're ready to be flipped. Kind of the same as steaks.

Back
Top Bottom