New pot, not sure what it's made of.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookingcountess

Assistant Cook
i just bought a pot at a tag sale. it is a hammered finish, silver in color with a black cast iron handle. very very heavy. stamped made in france. i don't know what material it is made of. does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
It looks to be a hammered aluminum pot.

They often use aluminum in France just like the copper hammered pots they make.

That's what it looks like to me, too. Probably the weight comes from the cast iron handle. It's absolutely gorgeous - what a great find! And by the way, welcome to DC!

I agree - on the surface it looks like hammered aluminum. And, since it appears the metal is at least 1/8-inch thick that would certainly account for it having some heft.

The thing that makes me wonder about the metal is that it appears that there is a reddish rust around the rim of the pot. Aluminum "rust" is a white powder - reddish rust is from iron.

It's a beaut, cookingcountess. Have fun with it. If it is aluminum, watch out for the acidic foods.

Oh, and WELCOME to DC

Last edited:
cookingcountess, welcome to DC
Looks like your pot is made out of Aluminum.
However, there are a couple of things that look out of place. The red rust that Michael mentioned (upper rim) and the fact that is probably a 2 Qt (max) sauce pan.
French cooks and home cooks know very well that Al is not the prefered choice for sauce pans.
Check for significant scratches on the surface (Al is a soft material) and also pitting due to reaction with acidic foods. If none of that is present, I'd scratch the outside surface.
Perhaps is a cooper pan that has been tinned completely. I have not seen that, but since you mentioned the heavy weight, I would not discard the pot may be made out of coated cooper (Cooper is heavier than iron/steel)
The other strange fact is that hammering on pots is done to increase the material strenght, it is common to see this in sauce pan with slanted walls (conical shape). It is more rare in vertical wall pans due to the inherent strenght of the design, although some companies may do it just for cosmetic/visual reasons.
Bonne cuisine!

the inside looks like it has been tinned (but it is hard to tell from a photo)

It could be a hammered carbon steel pot tin lined. That would account for the "rust" and the weight, and be the best reason for the tin lining (if it is that at all)

I tend to agree with wysiwyg, copper pot, fully tinned before the handle was mounted. I think the red peeking through the rim is copper, not rust. If this is, indeed, the case, you have done very well at the tag sale. Take me to the next one, please?

Don't think it's aluminum ?

I tend to agree with wysiwyg, copper pot, fully tinned before the handle was mounted. I think the red peeking through the rim is copper, not rust. If this is, indeed, the case, you have done very well at the tag sale. Take me to the next one, please?

IMHO, looks like a Mauviel handle design over tinned copper. Are those screws or nuts on the handle ? If so, maybe it was broken/damaged & they removed/replaced the handle. Then Tinned the pot maybe, don't know how they got the handle black though. :mellow:

I agree, I think that is plated copper. I don't know if it's tin, or nickel! it's pretty shiny for tin plate.

Back
Top Bottom