"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Executive Chef

How I cook and how you cook are two different things. Not only are our recipes likely different, but what we think is important in cookware performance may also be worlds apart.

That said, my advice to anyone looking for cookware is that while sets often offer a good price, do you need and will you use all pieces in the set? Would a variety of different pans serve you better? And also give you the info needed to make the choice of a few more of this one type here rather than that one there??

just some things to think about. btw, Analon is a well respected company.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I would not recommend going whole hog for one type of cookware. For one thing if it disappoints you are stuck with the whole set. Also different materials perform better at different tasks.... jpaul gave you that run down pretty well

Personally I don't like non-stick... it gets icky and requires way to much being careful for me... also once its shot its usless and it has a definitle lifespan no matter how careful you are.

If I were to break things down though I would go with the following for a base

SS sauce pans & a stock pot (aluminum disk or for $$$ core like all clad)
A enameled Cast Iron dutch oven... maybe 2 a medium and a big
A few types of skillets... non stick, SS and Cast Iron
A Saute pan of your choosing.

Rather than buy a set I would just shop the racks at stores like TJ maxx or department stores you should be able to get good deals on separate pieces and you will have a more varied and interesting set of tools at hand... .also if you don't like a certain item... replace it! You don't have to replace a whole set. I wouldn't worry too much about brands.. they are tricky anyway because they all have so many lines... look at the construction the handles see if they feel solid and sturdy in your hand

More to the point of your original question I do have some cookware with the rubber handles and glass lids I find I like them although I was hesitant when I bought them.

A little BKF and some scotchbrite or steel wool will go along way to keeping your SS clean.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Hello Kwitel!
Jennyema is correct. Anolon Titanium has been discontinued. If you want to add to your Anolon set, Advanced is your best bet. I have Anolon Advanced and love the glass lids and silicone handles. Excellent quality nonstick pans for a great price.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Well-it looks like stainless is the way to go and maybe ill buy some non-stick pans to go with it?

Is it really a big deal to have glass lids? I find you cant see through the steam anyways...

What do you guys think of the Anolon Chef-Clad set here?:

(ugh-I cant post links yet-its the Chef Clad SS set by Anolon at Amazon for 299)
Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathleenM View Post
Hello Kwitel!
Jennyema is correct. Anolon Titanium has been discontinued. If you want to add to your Anolon set, Advanced is your best bet. I have Anolon Advanced and love the glass lids and silicone handles. Excellent quality nonstick pans for a great price.
Thanks for the reply Cathleen.

When cooking, do the lids stay clear? Thats my major concern.
Also, I worry about the silicone handles in the oven.
The Titanium set (which is available on Ebay and some other closeout shops) has SS tops and SS handles.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hi, I have not had an issue with the glass lids staying clear. Glass lids vs stainless steel lids is an issue of personal preference. Both do the job! If you are not concerned about adding to your Titanium set, then for sure take advantage of the closout prices!
FYI - Silicone handles are safe in the oven up to 400.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I am kitchen gadget girl and I love anything that could make my kitchen life easier. My cookwares are my priceless possession. FencaPerlitas is right, I am too is a no longer fan of glass lids, thinking that my not so careful guest could just break it.:-)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
Cook

I don't think that glass lids are important, but I also almost never use lids on skillets of sautee pans. I agree with PanchoHambre that your best bet is an assortment of pans.

I have 1 calphalon saucepan that's nonstick (I use it for rice and... well, lots of stuff!)
1 medium enamel coated CI dutch oven
1 ENORMOUS CI dutch oven that I almost never use
1 5 gallon stock pot - SS with a copper bottom
3 CI pans that I use all the time
1 nonstick pan that I use rarely
1 SS pan (SS calphalon tri-ply) that I use when I need a HUGE sautee/skillet or I'm making something acidic and can't use the CI

IMO, I'd buy a cast iron skillet (try to get an old one with a smooth inside), a medium saucepan, a HUGE SS sautee, and a dutch oven to start. You'll be able to pick and choose your stuff and not waste money on stuff you'll never use.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
1 ENORMOUS CI dutch oven that I almost never use

but I bet you wouldn't part with it for the world... because when the time comes the sucker is there and nothing else will do the job

out of curiosity... how big is enormous?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #20
Head Chef

I like the assortment Pancho Hambre suggested......except I hate non-stick skillets/pans. I won't have them in my house.

I like copper saucepans and saute pans. I leave the stainless steel for stockpots.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote