"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
Master Chef

Newer nonstick frying pan surfaces

.... and, yes, I did look up the other line and read it, but it was getting long and unwieldy.

I'm mostly interested in the newer lines of nonstick surfaces. From what I understand the Teflon ones that I used to buy cheap and throw away without regrets when they ceased to be nonstick w/o regrets, are going to be going away. So I thought I'd try one of the newer surfaces. I bought a couple of Wustoff from Chef's catalog. First of all, imagine my .... well, that I wasn't happy, when I saw, no, not made in Germany, but in China! So much for German engineering (I have the knives and love them) I could pay a fraction and get something off the TV commercials or WalMart made in China. And the darned (@#$##$%^) things are not remotely nonstick. My regular Sitram skillets are more nonstick. Even greasy bacon sticks! I'm thinking of trying those el cheapo green ones. I don't do cast iron for the same reason I never was able to keep a good wok .... I don't consider myself a clean fanatic, but cannot resist scrubbing pans with soap and water. Both of the above rust after doing that! What one person's "seasoning" is another person's "coating of grease". So, anyone else tried these "green" pans that are supposed to replace cheap Teflon? Maybe I'll just go and stock up on cheap Teflon!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

The only pans I ever use are Stainless Steel. They're easy to clean (get Barkeeper's Friend at Target for $2 if you need to scrub them) and they're the safest to use.

I had no idea how dangerous the non-stick ones were till it killed my birds! I turned the heat on under the pan one day years ago, and immediately one of my kids screamed from outside - I ran out and when I came back in a couple minutes later, one bird was dead. (The parakeets lived in the kitchen). Later another one passed from the same thing.

I researched and Buckytom also helped in the matter. Yep, if you look on the packaging, it will say something about "Avian" something-or-other. The chemicals let off from a non-stick surface without anything in it will kill small animals.

If it can do that to an animal, what is it doing to your food?

Watch cooking shows. They use stainless.k

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I'm under the impression that the toxic chemicals used in NS cookware are no longer in use. Is that not true?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
.... and, yes, I did look up the other line and read it, but it was getting long and unwieldy.

I'm mostly interested in the newer lines of nonstick surfaces. From what I understand the Teflon ones that I used to buy cheap and throw away without regrets when they ceased to be nonstick w/o regrets, are going to be going away. So I thought I'd try one of the newer surfaces. I bought a couple of Wustoff from Chef's catalog. First of all, imagine my .... well, that I wasn't happy, when I saw, no, not made in Germany, but in China! So much for German engineering (I have the knives and love them) I could pay a fraction and get something off the TV commercials or WalMart made in China. And the darned (@#$##$%^) things are not remotely nonstick. My regular Sitram skillets are more nonstick. Even greasy bacon sticks! I'm thinking of trying those el cheapo green ones. I don't do cast iron for the same reason I never was able to keep a good wok .... I don't consider myself a clean fanatic, but cannot resist scrubbing pans with soap and water. Both of the above rust after doing that! What one person's "seasoning" is another person's "coating of grease". So, anyone else tried these "green" pans that are supposed to replace cheap Teflon? Maybe I'll just go and stock up on cheap Teflon!
Claire,

I was looking at one of those "green" nonstick pans too and wondering about them. I normally do not use nonstick, but would also like to hear what others say about these. Unfortunately, the one I saw today (the as seen on tv one) is made in China :(
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I'm under the impression that the toxic chemicals used in NS cookware are no longer in use. Is that not true?
I thought there was a couple more years left on them. If they're toxic, by the way, I'm already dead. I'm thinking of stocking up on them before they're taken off the market.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Claire,

I was looking at one of those "green" nonstick pans too and wondering about them. I normally do not use nonstick, but would also like to hear what others say about these. Unfortunately, the one I saw today (the as seen on tv one) is made in China :(
If I find one of those TV ones tomorrow when I'm shopping (there's a "as seen on TV" store where I'm going), I'll try one and report back! Of course, in ten years, if they work, someone will find that THEY are toxic!

Face it, everything is made in China these days. I was just surprised that Wustoff lent their name in that way.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
They create toxic fumes if overheated. Usually if you are heating something in a Teflon pan you are ok, but occasionally they can get hot enough to create the fumes. You can smell it when it happens. The flakes that chip off can be ingested safely.

Has anyone tried the ceramic "non-stick" pans? (Or is that what the green ones you are talking about are?)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post

They create toxic fumes if overheated. Usually if you are heating something in a Teflon pan you are ok, but occasionally they can get hot enough to create the fumes. You can smell it when it happens. The flakes that chip off can be ingested safely.

Has anyone tried the ceramic "non-stick" pans? (Or is that what the green ones you are talking about are?)
I think maybe the green non stick one might be a thin ceramic, but I'm not sure. They are pretty inexpensive so I guess it could be a cheap substitute ;)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Good to know, I only use NS for eggs and I never get them screaming hot anyway so I am probably ok.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

What is a green pan? I don't recall seeing those advertised anywhere.
That said (asked), my new Circulon sauce pan is non-stick. I have never seen such a non-stick surface. I heated up some gravy and pork in it and the gravy poured right out. You wouldn't know the pan had been used if not for a couple drops up by the spout. I will replace my other sauce pans with the same kind (minus the strainer lid feature).
I like non-stick sauce pans because I can cook down a sauce and don't have that ring from the reduced liquid that sticks to the sides. It rinses right out or the dishwasher takes care of it. With SS that ring cooks on.