"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 05-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

You have to be careful not to get a non-stick pan super hot.

.... which makes me wonder why there are non stick grill pans.

Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
Head Chef
The only non stick cookware I own are my cast iron skillets.

I had the teflon ones at one time, and I hated them.

Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
On America's Test Kitchen. They say don't preheat without oil. So essentially, put oil in when cold, and watch the oil. Once it shimmers or starts to smoke (depending on what heat you want) immediately add your ingredients. And of course, don't cook on high heat, but you shouldn't do that anyway.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Amen to Leolady's comment.
I don't have a non-stick pan and don't need one. Lodge (cast iron) makes the best ones and if you know how to heat up your oil in a SS pan, food won't stick to it either.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
Senior Cook
I have no use for cast iron cookware. We usually had a few pieces of cast iron but found they were'nt being used so we gave it away except for an eight inch skillet I saved to use for making cornbread until found I prefered Pyrex for cornbread and gave that one away also.
I recently purchased an 8" Lodge Logic preseasoned skillet to see if it was any better than I remembered cast iron to be.
It now sets by the back door as a catfood dish. It makes a great catfood dish. Too heavy for the varmints to carry away or the wind to blow off the pourch.
We used to buy cheap nonstick cookware and it did wear out rather quickly but the newer better quality cookware lasts much longer. Again you get what you pay for.
For about $40.00 you can usually get an 8" plus a 10" Calphalon nonstick fry pan at Bed Bath & Beyond. About $50.00 should get you a 10" and a 12" Calphalon nonstick fry pan.
For a few bucks more you can get Anolon which is my preference.
Ron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
.... which makes me wonder why there are non stick grill pans.
Or non-stick woks?

I have two Le Gourmet Chef stainless steel tri-ply fry pans with teflon. An 8-inch for eggs for one, and a 10-inch for eggs for two. I also have 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch Le Gourmet Chef stainless steel tri-ply fry pans without teflon, for all my other frying needs.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote