"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Non Stick Cookwares

I recently bought a non stick cookware set. One of my friend is saying that cooking in non stick pans is bad for health. Is it true?

sankum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

NO!

You have to be careful not to get a non-stick pan super hot. That will cause the non-stick coating to break down and release gases that could be harmful to small birds.

Under normal cooking conditions, there is no reason for concern.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Andy...will keep in mind your tips :)
sankum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Cook

My sister thinks the non-stick pans are unsafe as well, but it's because she reads too much. One day this is bad, the next day it is good. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the pans are in good condition, it should be fine. It's when the non-stick coating starts to peel then I worry.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calya View Post
...It's when the non-stick coating starts to peel then I worry.

Actually, if any of the coating gets into your food, it passes through with absolutely no effect on your body. Peeling coatings are a sign that it's time to buy new cookware, not a safety concern.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Head Chef

I tend to have a non stick frying pan in my possession in whatever condition - great to terrible shape - it might be in--depending on the number of years I've had it. I have never had one I think is fantastic that's lasted more than a few years. My last one was a gift from my kids, T-fal, and it's going out the door soon. I might be getting some Farberware next. Has anyone had experience with this brand? Any help would be great! ~Bliss
Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I don't get the deal with nonstick pans. People say that preheating a nonstick pan is bad because the temperature will rise too fast and the coating will break down (which is bad). But how are you supposed to saute and stuff without preheating the pan appropriately?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
I don't get the deal with nonstick pans. People say that preheating a nonstick pan is bad because the temperature will rise too fast and the coating will break down (which is bad). But how are you supposed to saute and stuff without preheating the pan appropriately?

You can preheat a nonstick pan empty to properly saute foods. The temperature necessary for saute is MUCH lower than the temperature at which the nonstick coating breaks down.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankum View Post
I recently bought a non stick cookware set. One of my friend is saying that cooking in non stick pans is bad for health. Is it true?
Read and follow the instructions that came with your cookware and you should not have any problems.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

The oil or shortning that is used for cooking, in any type cookware, will reach it's smoke point at a much lower temp than the danger point of teflon cookware and be just as harmeful to your birds and others but the "don't use teflon" people completely ingore this.
So if you're worried about teflon you should be much more worried about pushing your Crisco past it's smoke point the next time you fry chicken or the smoke produced the next time you want to put a really good sear on that steak.