Non Stick Cookwares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sankum

Assistant Cook
I recently bought a non stick cookware set. One of my friend is saying that cooking in non stick pans is bad for health. Is it true?

NO!

You have to be careful not to get a non-stick pan super hot. That will cause the non-stick coating to break down and release gases that could be harmful to small birds.

Under normal cooking conditions, there is no reason for concern.

My sister thinks the non-stick pans are unsafe as well, but it's because she reads too much. One day this is bad, the next day it is good. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the pans are in good condition, it should be fine. It's when the non-stick coating starts to peel then I worry.

...It's when the non-stick coating starts to peel then I worry.

Actually, if any of the coating gets into your food, it passes through with absolutely no effect on your body. Peeling coatings are a sign that it's time to buy new cookware, not a safety concern.

I tend to have a non stick frying pan in my possession in whatever condition - great to terrible shape - it might be in--depending on the number of years I've had it. I have never had one I think is fantastic that's lasted more than a few years. My last one was a gift from my kids, T-fal, and it's going out the door soon. I might be getting some Farberware next. Has anyone had experience with this brand? Any help would be great! ~Bliss

I don't get the deal with nonstick pans. People say that preheating a nonstick pan is bad because the temperature will rise too fast and the coating will break down (which is bad). But how are you supposed to saute and stuff without preheating the pan appropriately?

I don't get the deal with nonstick pans. People say that preheating a nonstick pan is bad because the temperature will rise too fast and the coating will break down (which is bad). But how are you supposed to saute and stuff without preheating the pan appropriately?

You can preheat a nonstick pan empty to properly saute foods. The temperature necessary for saute is MUCH lower than the temperature at which the nonstick coating breaks down.

The oil or shortning that is used for cooking, in any type cookware, will reach it's smoke point at a much lower temp than the danger point of teflon cookware and be just as harmeful to your birds and others but the "don't use teflon" people completely ingore this.
So if you're worried about teflon you should be much more worried about pushing your Crisco past it's smoke point the next time you fry chicken or the smoke produced the next time you want to put a really good sear on that steak.

The only non stick cookware I own are my cast iron skillets.

I had the teflon ones at one time, and I hated them.

On America's Test Kitchen. They say don't preheat without oil. So essentially, put oil in when cold, and watch the oil. Once it shimmers or starts to smoke (depending on what heat you want) immediately add your ingredients. And of course, don't cook on high heat, but you shouldn't do that anyway.

Amen to Leolady's comment.
I don't have a non-stick pan and don't need one. Lodge (cast iron) makes the best ones and if you know how to heat up your oil in a SS pan, food won't stick to it either.

I have no use for cast iron cookware. We usually had a few pieces of cast iron but found they were'nt being used so we gave it away except for an eight inch skillet I saved to use for making cornbread until found I prefered Pyrex for cornbread and gave that one away also.
I recently purchased an 8" Lodge Logic preseasoned skillet to see if it was any better than I remembered cast iron to be.
It now sets by the back door as a catfood dish. It makes a great catfood dish. Too heavy for the varmints to carry away or the wind to blow off the pourch.
We used to buy cheap nonstick cookware and it did wear out rather quickly but the newer better quality cookware lasts much longer. Again you get what you pay for.
For about $40.00 you can usually get an 8" plus a 10" Calphalon nonstick fry pan at Bed Bath & Beyond. About $50.00 should get you a 10" and a 12" Calphalon nonstick fry pan.
For a few bucks more you can get Anolon which is my preference.

.... which makes me wonder why there are non stick grill pans.
Or non-stick woks?

I have two Le Gourmet Chef stainless steel tri-ply fry pans with teflon. An 8-inch for eggs for one, and a 10-inch for eggs for two. I also have 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch Le Gourmet Chef stainless steel tri-ply fry pans without teflon, for all my other frying needs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom