"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Head Chef

Question Non-Stick Pans-How long do they last?

How long does your non-stick pans last? I noticed that mine die after about 5 years. Read online somewhere that nonstick pans can't take high heat. I didn't know this. Maybe that's why mine die so fast? I always thought they were supposed to last forever??

Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

High heat is not good for non-stick.

There are two schools of thought on non-stick pans.

1. Buy cheap pans and toss them with no guilt when they go bad.

2. Buy good quality pans and they will last a long time.

I go with the first. I bought three heavy aluminum pans (8"; 10"; 12") with Teflon coating 6 years ago for $20 and they are all still going strong. When they finally give up the ghost, I'll buy three more for another $20 (gotta love Costco) and continue on.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Teflon like any product has evolved over the years and been improves in many ways. Longevity and durability has increased with each new release. Within the Teflon product line there are a number of grades of Teflon. At this time (2006) these are Autograph (top of line), Platinum Pro (commercial grade), Platinum (also a commercial grade), Select (Demanding Use), Xtra (Regular use) and Classic (Convenience). All of these grades of the Teflon Brand have different use curves.

Each grade varies in price and durability and so it is not possible to answer your question with any certainty unless there is a specification as to the grade of Teflon you are talking about. You will, of course, pay more for the higher grade of the brand.

Teflon is also known as PTFE resin in industrial use.

Teflon is a Trademark of the Dupont Company which is the inventor and manufacturer of the Teflon coating. There are other manufacturers of "non-stick" coating which may have different names for their products such as "Non-Stick Plus" or "Non-Stick II". Unless you buy a Teflon product with a specific grade qualification, it's pretty much a craps shoot as to the useful life of the non-stick coating.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
How long does your non-stick pans last? I noticed that mine die after about 5 years. Read online somewhere that nonstick pans can't take high heat. I didn't know this. Maybe that's why mine die so fast? I always thought they were supposed to last forever??
In my experience 5 years is about par for the ones with a lifetime warranty.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Ohmigosh! I must be doing something right. I've had a 10-inch non-stick Revere Ware skillet for almost 25 years and it's just now showing its wear. My 8-inch skillet, which is used at least once every few days, is still like new. It's Revere Ware, too. Maybe it's the Revere product. I just retired my 30-year-old Revere Ware pressure cooker. Not because it was not performing, but because I couldn't get gaskets, etc. It still makes a great stock pot.

I've cooked too many things in it to even remember and have always used wooden or plastic utensils to stir/flip, etc. in it. I love it an am sorry it's beginning to show its age.

However, I have always taken great care with my tools, etc. I still have my 1967 Osterizer blender I bought for $19. and it works like it was new. My Cuisinart food processor is almost 30-years-old and acts as though it was purchased yesterday. Ditto for my 1970 Rival crock-pot.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
Cook

lifetime warranty...5yrs??!

Holy cow, how can they get away w/ charging upwards of 500 smackeroos for those non-stick lines if they only last, say, 5 yrs?

I could never bring myself to shell out that kind of dough so bought a Cuisinart set for $150 and (I guess naively!) I fully expected it to last for decades. I also just purchased a Calphalon non-stick w/ the same expectation.

But as I understood it, these pans are not like Teflon. The process used to make them is not the same. Have I been misled? I was even told I could use metal utensils w/ my cookware, although I do not do so.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:54 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Lots of good info in all the posts I think. And use and care is certainly up there with "how long will it last". Non-stick cannot be heated to high temps especially when the pan is empty--as you might do/try if you wanted to sear some meat.
My non-stick Calphalon knockoffs from Sam's are 6-7 years old now and are doing just fine. They aren't pristine (burning things in a pan requires some scrubbing!!) but are OK. I have other pans for searing.
And from what others on this forum who DO buy expensive non-stick say, they claim the warranty with no problems.
Me, I concur with Andy. Don't spend too much and replace as needed. Another good shopping place is Amazon--and today is Friday, so the Friday Sale is on!!

Here is a link to a lot of cookware.
http://www.amazon.com/Cookware-Outle...F8&node=526854
Old 11-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior Cook

By high heat that means almost 600 (574) and most nonstick comes with a warning not to use high heat, low to med hi only.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #9
Senior Cook

devora-With Calphalon One infused and some of thier older cookware like thier Commercial line it was said it was ok to use metal utensils but nothing with sharp corners but anything that's nonstick use no metal.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:44 AM   #10
Head Chef

I have two non stick frying pans I got in the same year while at university. One is now going strong, one is on its last legs but both were bought 8? ish years ago. I am not a frequent frying though....so they are used maybe once a week. They were both cheap cheap pans. I have often used high heat with them, I did not know til joining DC you were not meant to.

My plan for the future is to continue buying non-stick frying pans at the low end of the market and replace as and when. I am the same with milk pans (which I get through quicker and replace every two to three years).