"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
In my humble opinion, you should dump the stuff as others recommended. In addition, I would not get any non-stick cookware that may be exposed to heat since non-stick cookware contains Polytetrafluoroethylene (commonly known as Teflon), a synthetic polymer that degrades with heat and releases fumes.

The household cleaners you use every day release fumes at room temperature that are more dangerous than teflon cookware releases.

You better throw all of those dangerous cleaners out and just use soap and water.
__________________

__________________
Ron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
wysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 446
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Andy, Teflon is Dupont's commercial name for PTFE. Here is a Wikipedia link for additional info on Teflon: Polytetrafluoroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I believe you are referring to Perfluorooctanoid Acid (PFOA), a product used to synthetize Teflon.
__________________

__________________
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
wysiwyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 446
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Ron, I agree with you relative to chemical cleaners.
__________________
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,296
I am on the search for some new non-stick cook wear!!! I must be losing my mind, cuz I get excited when I get to buy new cook ware!!!!
__________________
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #15
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: upper midwest
Posts: 5,171
About 3 weeks ago I bought a new 10" non stick frying pan with a see thru glass lid at Target. The name was WearEver. The cost was $19.99. I love having the lid.
__________________
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
Rogers
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Andy, Teflon is Dupont's commercial name for PTFE. Here is a Wikipedia link for additional info on Teflon: Polytetrafluoroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I believe you are referring to Perfluorooctanoid Acid (PFOA), a product used to synthetize Teflon.

wysiwyg:

You are correct. I confused my FLAs (four letter acrynyms). I was referring to PFOA, not PTFE, which is Teflon.

I do believe that in normal use, there is little or no danger of fumes from a Teflon pan. That happens at higher temperatures than cooking is normally done at. Most fats will break down and smoke before the pan gets hot enough to break down PTFE.

That being said, if one forgets a Teflon pan on a burner, it can get hot enough to release fumes. These fumes have been shown to kill small birds and cause flu-like symptoms in people.

Thanks for correcting my error.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
get rid of it!!
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 161
Teflon does not release these fumes until it reaches almost 600.

Any cooking oil, lard or shortning will have reached it's smoke point at a much lower temperature and the smoke produced will have killed your birds and left you coughing and the house full of smoke for hours.

Most of my recent nonstick cookware purchases have come with warnings about not using them at high heat.

So if you're going to be alarmed if teflon releases fumes, when severly overheated, that could harm any small birds that have been placed too close to the stove and could cause mild flu like symptoms that may last a few days in humans, then you should also consider not using or cooking anything that will smoke, scourch or burn during the cooking process.

I'm just saying.

__________________

__________________
Ron W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.