Non Stick Pans.... When is enough enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Ok, I am "sitting" on some really old non stick cookware... cookware who's enamel is wearing and chipping off. When do you toss in the towel and say that they are through? The wear is not bad, but I can't help but think that these little flakes of non-stick enamel are making it's way into my food. I should have a non-stick tummy by now!!! LOL!! :rolleyes:

When the coating starts to chip off it is time to get rid of them. It won't hurt you to digest it, but the pan is no longer doing what you bought it to do.

In my humble opinion, you should dump the stuff as others recommended. In addition, I would not get any non-stick cookware that may be exposed to heat since non-stick cookware contains Polytetrafluoroethylene (commonly known as Teflon), a synthetic polymer that degrades with heat and releases fumes.

PTFE is NOT present in Teflon!

PTFE is a chemical used in the manufacture of Teflon and is not present in the final product.

PTFE can be found in the coatings on frozen food boxes and take out pizza boxes to retard the absorption of grease. It is also used in the manufacture of stain resistent clothing.

Better you should be aware of your clothing and food packaging than to worry about non-stick pots and pans.

wysiwyg said:
In my humble opinion, you should dump the stuff as others recommended. In addition, I would not get any non-stick cookware that may be exposed to heat since non-stick cookware contains Polytetrafluoroethylene (commonly known as Teflon), a synthetic polymer that degrades with heat and releases fumes.

The household cleaners you use every day release fumes at room temperature that are more dangerous than teflon cookware releases.

You better throw all of those dangerous cleaners out and just use soap and water.

I am on the search for some new non-stick cook wear!!! I must be losing my mind, cuz I get excited when I get to buy new cook ware!!!!

About 3 weeks ago I bought a new 10" non stick frying pan with a see thru glass lid at Target. The name was WearEver. The cost was $19.99. I love having the lid.

wysiwyg said:
Andy, Teflon is Dupont's commercial name for PTFE. Here is a Wikipedia link for additional info on Teflon: Polytetrafluoroethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I believe you are referring to Perfluorooctanoid Acid (PFOA), a product used to synthetize Teflon.

wysiwyg:

You are correct. I confused my FLAs (four letter acrynyms). I was referring to PFOA, not PTFE, which is Teflon.

I do believe that in normal use, there is little or no danger of fumes from a Teflon pan. That happens at higher temperatures than cooking is normally done at. Most fats will break down and smoke before the pan gets hot enough to break down PTFE.

That being said, if one forgets a Teflon pan on a burner, it can get hot enough to release fumes. These fumes have been shown to kill small birds and cause flu-like symptoms in people.

Thanks for correcting my error.

Teflon does not release these fumes until it reaches almost 600°.

Any cooking oil, lard or shortning will have reached it's smoke point at a much lower temperature and the smoke produced will have killed your birds and left you coughing and the house full of smoke for hours.

Most of my recent nonstick cookware purchases have come with warnings about not using them at high heat.

So if you're going to be alarmed if teflon releases fumes, when severly overheated, that could harm any small birds that have been placed too close to the stove and could cause mild flu like symptoms that may last a few days in humans, then you should also consider not using or cooking anything that will smoke, scourch or burn during the cooking process.

I'm just saying.

;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom