"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Nonstick and pH

im going to make some soft pretzels tonight and use the Good Eats recipe, which calls for dunking the pretzels in a simmering water/baking soda bath before baking....my widest pan happens to be non stick, but im a little afraid that the baking soda mixture could do some damage....im not talking about the baking soda causing scratches, im more concerned about the high pH levels.....am i making this up, or is this an actual concern?
i know its not THAT high of a pH (8 or so), but there arent many culinary bases out there and i feel like ive been warned about this

Old 06-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

There is no reason for concern. Go ahead and make your pretzels.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Senior Cook

thanks

got home alot later than expected last night, but i was so set on having pretzels that i just made some real quick pretzels instead - used premade pizza dough, just made little balls instead of actual pretzels - and they still came out great
Old 07-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Sounds delicious! By the way you would have been alright putting them in the non-stick pan. Did you trip dipping them in some melted cheese. That is my favorite cheese and pretzel dip.