"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-31-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Not just another Pot Question

I was out Pot lusting friday...
Crusing department store cookware sections, while my wife was safely tied up getting her nails done...

I looked at the calphalon and the cusinart and kitchen aid and even the newer Analon...
And guess What!
I hated the handles on most of them!
Calphalon, cusinart and several others had these little narrow skinny handles that almost hurt picking them up empty. Also it dosent make sense to get a frying pan or skillet bigger than 10" without a helper handle. A skillet smaller than 8" in SS feels like a toy... Maybe I am just to used to Cast Iron.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
Master Chef

I know II've gotten used to one particular piece of cookware and its hard to transform myself. I have the same skillet I've had for years......its pretty pathetic looking and is quickly tucked away after its use so no one sees it. It may not be pretty but it can cook up a storm and we make an awesome team. I've looked at other skillets numerous times but always leave the store without a new one. I know one day the handle will come of my ole friend and I we will have to part ways but until then I'll just keep him safely tucked away.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Executive Chef

this topic brings me to the thrift store topic as many of my pots and pans have come from thrift stores. I know, it's dumb to admit, but I've gotten great cast iron ones from there, in all sizes. what I like most about them 'there' is they're already seasoned, so the problems that arise from buying new ones, isn't a problem. I, too, love to go into the stores and look at gorgeous pan sets. William Sonoma is a killer to shop at, as are the prices there unfortunately. I don't ever consider buying them, but love to window shop in that store. It's worth spending the money on as cooking is my passion, I should have really good ones. I like to use certain types of cookware for certain types of things though. so, depending on what I'm making, that is how I pick my pot or pan. I like my mother in laws good old fashioned Farberware set that she's had for years. it feels good in my hands, not too heavy, not too light. also my daughters fiances' mother gave them great cookware and when I'm there, I enjoy using it. very heavy, ribbed inside, and I think, it's supposed to be nonstick. I'd tell you the name of the stuff if I knew, which I don't.
Le Creuset is wonderful, and I have several pieces of it.
it's on my Christmas list that I'm giving to the kids. especially the 7qt 9qt 11qt and 13qt dutch ovens. any color is fine with me.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I Saw Le Creuset at Marshalls for a very low price, I don't remember what,cause I was looking to build my Anolon Set.
I was looking at HSN this morning Cause they were hawking the newest twist on Ultrex, which is what my MIL gave us. Ultrex ia great stuff, I've used it for 3 years now. But I see why more expierenced cooks dont rave over it.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:03 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

vilasman1, let me recommend the outlet mall in Leesburg, VA, if you haven't heard of it before. Le Crueset and Wms Sonoma both have stores there, from which I have acquired several items, including my All-Clad skillet.

There is also a neat little shop called Le Gourmet Chef that is loaded with various gadgets and kitchen trinkets, and as a bonus always has out several varieties of dips and spreads and dipping oils for sampling.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I just got a great deal on a Le Creuset 7 quart dutch oven at the website below. $123 and that included shipping and tax. They said it would take about 6-8 weeks, but I actually got it in less than a week (3 or 4 days I think).

http://www.caplanduval.com/lec1.html
Old 10-31-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
Master Chef

I saw a lidded pot at TJ Maxx about 2 months ago for 99.00 I believe....may have been 99.99 :D . I think I'll have to remember to check out that back section (household) more often. Unfort., I was in the mood for clothes that day and passed it up
Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Head Chef

The point about too small handles is a valid point. Any cookware you purchase should feel good to you. I also do not like slick handles. I have fairly large hands, and prefer the large cast iron handles on my cookware. It is around an inch diameter at its largest, and the shape allows lifting with your whole arm on heavier pots instead of just the wrist. Instead of purchasing a set, I would purchase one of the medium to large items in a line and use it for a while before committing to a lifetime investment.
I agree with the resale market for cast iron. Much cast iron is sold at estate and yard sales in groups for giveaway prices. I do, however, clean and reseason used cast iron. If I must buy a box of pieces to get the piece I want, I just give the rest away to someone starting out.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Kitchen Aid made a good set of pots aluminum core, stainless interior, enameled exterior or stainless. THe handles were great, tight lids, etc. Never saw them anywhere except at Marshalls being discontinued.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
vilasman1, let me recommend the outlet mall in Leesburg, VA, if you haven't heard of it before. Le Crueset and Wms Sonoma both have stores there, from which I have acquired several items, including my All-Clad skillet.

There is also a neat little shop called Le Gourmet Chef that is loaded with various gadgets and kitchen trinkets, and as a bonus always has out several varieties of dips and spreads and dipping oils for sampling.
Yes!! Anyone in the area check it out. There are some great deals to be found there. My mom is always finding deeply discounted All Clad pieces there.