Oiling a cutting board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are you using? If it is mineral oil (which is recommended) you can't really oil too much. I have read on woodworking boards that they flood the board, leave it on overnight and then wipe it off. Repeat when it needs it again. Paraffin can also be added to the mineral oil (melt carefully in a double boiler) to prolong the "finish". This latter is what old time butchers' used on their blocks.
But it will have to be repeated at some time in the future anyway.

so it's more of a do it once a week or so, or is it like seasoning cast iron, do it once a season or so unless you scrub it or see rust.

vilasman said:
so it's more of a do it once a week or so, or is it like seasoning cast iron, do it once a season or so unless you scrub it or see rust.

Once a week is probably a good idea -- that I don't follow.:)

I usually oil mine approx every four to six weeks, or when I remember. But I'm also careful to dry them well after I wash or rinse them, which helps to protect them.

Is it a new board or one you've had for a while? A new board will soak up more oil than an old board. To pull up something from an old thread:

NEVER use anything except mineral oil on your board - vegetable, nut and animal oils will go rancid. Oil your board once or twice a day until it stops absorbing oil - this might take a few days. Just give it a good heavy dose of oil ... and repeat until it stops absorbing the oil - then it's ready to use. My edge-grain board took about 3 days, my end-grain board took about a week.

Regarding the mineral oil - just get the stuff from the drugstore (probably labeled Mineral Oil USP). That's medical grade mineral oil. Food grade mineral oil is certified by a different government agency ... since it's intended for use in food preperation. They are, for all practical purposes, the same thing ... although food grade allows some things not allowed in medical grade - and usually costs more.

Last edited:
They are new boards, I have done them about 3 times so far and I will stop when they stop absorbing

:ermm: I didn't know you were suppose to oil a cutting board. I've never oiled mine and I've had it probably 3 years. Please explain why you do this.

SizzlininIN said:
:ermm: I didn't know you were suppose to oil a cutting board. I've never oiled mine and I've had it probably 3 years. Please explain why you do this.

I have had a cutting board top for 30+ years and don't oil it. Regularly bleach it for cleaning. I could oil it but it would be a pretty much too often chore.

Cutting boards are oiled to protect the wood--especially in very nice figured ones. It keeps them from spotting. Water will bead up on them and be wiped off.

Back
Top Bottom