"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #21
Master Chef

If your friend is moving - what does her current roommate's opinions have to do with anything?

I would agree with others, a good 4-quart pot with a heavy bottom is a good choice if she can have only one pot. If she can have 2 pots - I would add an 8-quart pot to her collection.

Le Cruset (enameled cast iron) is nice - but expensive. And, it's not the best answer for everything .... like boiling eggs or pasta, heating soup, etc.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
If she can have 2 pots - I would add an 8-quart pot to her collection.
Just to be argumentative, the second item ought be non-reactive fry pan or a 2 qt. sauce pan.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Just to be argumentative, the second item ought be non-reactive fry pan or a 2 qt. sauce pan.
You're right ... about the first part, "Just to be argumentative".

The diameter of a 2-qt and 4-qt sauce pan are generally about the same. So, there is no significant difference other than the depth of the pot. Given the choice if I could only have one - I would go for the 4-qt.

Now, substituting a fry-pan for an 8-qt pot does have some significant differences. Fry pans hold less than sauté pans (even with the same diameter due to the differences in their designs), which hold less than a sauce pan/pot with with the same diameter which will be deeper.

You can easily cook pasta for 4 in a 10-inch 8-qt pot, not so easy in a 10-inch fry-pan!

And, if properly seasoned - cast iron is essentially "non-reactive" unless you're trying to store acetic foods in it.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

A 4- to 6-quart sauce pan is essentially a saute pan with very high sides. You can do everything in such a sauce pan that you can do in a saute pan, including deep frying.

I disagree that 2- and 4-quart saucepans have the same diameter. While this may sometimes be true, it is often not. Generally, in a limited equipment situation, a low wide pan is more versatile than a tall narrow pot/pan.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:56 AM   #25
Senior Cook

At this point, I'm leaning towards a bigger pan, but it has to be something she is willing to transport. If her new situation works out, she may be moving every 6 months or so for about 2 years.

Right now, she can carry her kitchen stuff very compactly.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 AM   #26
Executive Chef

a chef's pan...slightly up curved sides, one handle one helper loop, comes in up to 4 1/2 qts or so ... everyone makes them All Clad, Calphalon, Creuset, etc ... has lid...can sautee, be a dutch oven in the oven or stove top, can act as a sauce pan ... good compliment to the skillet if that's all ya got.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`m not sure if this counts at all, but for me it would most Certainly without a seconds thought be my Wok, stainless steel, older than I care to remember, and as good now as it was when new :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

A wok is a great suggestion. You can do so many things with one.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

I don't think my 8 qt. stockpot has ever seen the inside of the cupboard.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #30
Head Chef

I love my le creuset, but I would nt get it in a frequent move situation. Its heavy. Simple as that.

Sound to me like a lot of the need is to travel light, easy and quick, and self relient. In that case I would ant stuff that I could pack and carry, easily, quickly quietly. Especially if the next place I was moving to was a walk up with a cramped stairwell.

I agree a lidded largish pot is the most important thing. Not least because moving quickly, quietly and often can be expensive and soups, chilies, stews are something you can cook economically. You can make pasta, and use the same pan for a sauce while the pasta drains. The cast iron skillet she has adds a lot of versitility to this.

If I were able to move easily, and the restrictions are less severe than I am imagining I would probably get and electric frying pan. I did the most amazing amount of cooking in university with an electric frying pan hidden uner my bed! I did pasta and all sorts in there. :)