One pot/pan or ?? you can't do without?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If your friend is moving - what does her current roommate's opinions have to do with anything?

I would agree with others, a good 4-quart pot with a heavy bottom is a good choice if she can have only one pot. If she can have 2 pots - I would add an 8-quart pot to her collection.

Le Cruset (enameled cast iron) is nice - but expensive. And, it's not the best answer for everything .... like boiling eggs or pasta, heating soup, etc.

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
If she can have 2 pots - I would add an 8-quart pot to her collection.
Just to be argumentative, the second item ought be non-reactive fry pan or a 2 qt. sauce pan.

Last edited:
skilletlicker said:
Just to be argumentative, the second item ought be non-reactive fry pan or a 2 qt. sauce pan.

You're right ... about the first part, "Just to be argumentative". :LOL:

The diameter of a 2-qt and 4-qt sauce pan are generally about the same. So, there is no significant difference other than the depth of the pot. Given the choice if I could only have one - I would go for the 4-qt.

Now, substituting a fry-pan for an 8-qt pot does have some significant differences. Fry pans hold less than sauté pans (even with the same diameter due to the differences in their designs), which hold less than a sauce pan/pot with with the same diameter which will be deeper.

You can easily cook pasta for 4 in a 10-inch 8-qt pot, not so easy in a 10-inch fry-pan!

And, if properly seasoned - cast iron is essentially "non-reactive" unless you're trying to store acetic foods in it.

Last edited:
A 4- to 6-quart sauce pan is essentially a saute pan with very high sides. You can do everything in such a sauce pan that you can do in a saute pan, including deep frying.

I disagree that 2- and 4-quart saucepans have the same diameter. While this may sometimes be true, it is often not. Generally, in a limited equipment situation, a low wide pan is more versatile than a tall narrow pot/pan.

At this point, I'm leaning towards a bigger pan, but it has to be something she is willing to transport. If her new situation works out, she may be moving every 6 months or so for about 2 years.

Right now, she can carry her kitchen stuff very compactly.

Last edited:
a chef's pan...slightly up curved sides, one handle one helper loop, comes in up to 4 1/2 qts or so ... everyone makes them All Clad, Calphalon, Creuset, etc ... has lid...can sautee, be a dutch oven in the oven or stove top, can act as a sauce pan ... good compliment to the skillet if that's all ya got.

I`m not sure if this counts at all, but for me it would most Certainly without a seconds thought be my Wok, stainless steel, older than I care to remember, and as good now as it was when new :)

I love my le creuset, but I would nt get it in a frequent move situation. Its heavy. Simple as that.

Sound to me like a lot of the need is to travel light, easy and quick, and self relient. In that case I would ant stuff that I could pack and carry, easily, quickly quietly. Especially if the next place I was moving to was a walk up with a cramped stairwell.

I agree a lidded largish pot is the most important thing. Not least because moving quickly, quietly and often can be expensive and soups, chilies, stews are something you can cook economically. You can make pasta, and use the same pan for a sauce while the pasta drains. The cast iron skillet she has adds a lot of versitility to this.

If I were able to move easily, and the restrictions are less severe than I am imagining I would probably get and electric frying pan. I did the most amazing amount of cooking in university with an electric frying pan hidden uner my bed! I did pasta and all sorts in there. :)

TexanFrench - instead of playing 20-Questions with us trying to quess what would be the best thing for your friend - from a culinary standpoint .... why not tell us what her "situation" is which will require her to move so much ...

Heck, if she is a gypsy who is going to be living in a VW camper and is trying to recreate the '60s experience - there are cookware sets at the camping (Army surplus) stores that will provide everything for less than even moderately poor to good stuff in a cookware store.

Last edited:
Take the Cast Iron - I would never give mine up - also you can use it on the stove top or in the oven!!!! It's also a great weapon if you do not like your new neighbors!!!!!!

Hi,

My friend is a freelance designer living in NYC, with possibilities to do work in Europe. Usually she works for awhile with one company, then works with another, as their needs dictate. Some work is "in-house," some is via internet. She's an urban person, big on space-saving devices. And she is a great cook!

I appreciate all the input and ideas here; when she is back in the States in December, I'll know more about her future plans. Right now, I'm thinking about a "chef's pan"--something wide enough to fry in and deep enough for soup, and small enough to stick in a suitcase. Just wanted to know if there were better ideas around!

Thank you all!

My vote would be for a good quality 8-quart pot with lid. Can be used to cook pasta, stocks, chili, stews, etc., etc. I wouldn't be without mine - & it's not even a pricey model.

I also vote 8qt clad pot with lid... a good one... I have two! :)

Even in a pinch you can saute with it if you had to. In fact, the high walls actually make a good semi-spatter guard.

You can pretty-much cook using every cooking method with it. Next on my list would be a 10-12" cast iron skillet (depending on family size), followed by a 3qt clad Saucier with lid... again, a good one. Next would be a 12qt+ pot for easy stock making.

EDIT: Here is my personal favorite after checking out pans before buying mine...

All-Clad MC2 8qt Clad Stock-Pot w/Lid
ac-7508.jpg

It should last long enough to be passed on to the next generation... :LOL:
http://www.metrokitchen.com/item/AC-7508/

Last edited:
Just an update and thanks for all your thoughtful answers. My friend is moving to Switzerland soon, and she'll have a completely furnished apartment--cookware included. She'll even have a formal dining space, unlike her NYC apartment!

Guess I'll have to think again about that gift!

She has service for TWO? Then why on earth is everyone recommending 8 quart pots, 12 quart pots, etc? A 3 or 4 quart pot, and I'd choose a tri-ply stainless steel dutch oven with a lid because it's more versitle than a plain old pot, will do just fine for anything she wants to make to feed herself and maybe one other person.

Back
Top Bottom