"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Sous Chef

OrGreenic cookware - Thinking of buying some

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased OrGreenic cookware. These are the new ceramic coated pans that are green in color. I've watched the informercial, and read some reviews. Some Amazon reviewers said the food still sticks, others say not.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I visited their website. The marketer speaks very highly of it.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Go to Amazon and read the reviews. It will change your mind real quick. Don't buy it.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Head Chef

Here's what influences me.

1 - I can get over the obnoxious marketing. But I also figure that if you have a good product, you give it a fair presentation, and if it claims to be revolutionary and really is, your problem will be keeping up with demand. You don't happen to be "featured" on a bunch of blog/review sites that purport to be educational but are clearly marketing sites where every "review" ends with an offer to buy, and they never reviewed a product they didn't love and send you to where you can buy it. Obviously, someone's cutting third party clickthrough deals with them. The stink sticks to that kind of marketing, like you have to sell a bunch before people catch on.

Some of these sites, like Orgreenic Cookware - Taste HEALTHY? | Green Food Dude don't even bother to put up much of a show as a "review" site. They're just the maker or, again, one of their paid shills. OrGreenic isn't the only one. One site pretends to review them, trashes them, and then gushes over Rachel Ray cookware and sends you off to buy some. It's a low crowd they run with, and the smell puts me off right away.

2 - Good luck discovering just what the non-stick coating is. One thing it's not is ceramic. I believe there's a ceramic coat over the metal base. But lots of use have ceramic cookware. It's no more "non-stick" than stainless steel or cast iron. Which is to say that ceramic won't stick much if you use it properly. But I think the giveaway is that the OrGreenic top coating is glossy. That suggests silicone. Silicone has become a common material for bakeware. It seems to be okay but sometimes stinky. It suffers at high heat. I don't think I want it in a stove top pan.

3 - I personally find it disgusting that they would combine Organic and Green to brand a product that isn't particularly "green," being made in Zhejiang in China - not exactly known for green manufacturing. And organic is a concept that doesn't compute at all with regard to cookware, unless the cookware can be broken down in the composter when its useful life is over.

So far as I'm concerned, they may keep their organic, green, or whatever they want to call it product.

And I spent some time with the Amazon reviews. I do a lot of business with Amazon and spend a lot of time looking at and analyzing reviews. I've developed a pretty good filter for what matters and what's an ignorant or cranky customer. I look for specific functional complaints posted some months after the purchase. (You can and should edit and revise a positive review, if things change.) And I look for how many positive reviews were by one-time-only reviewers. Too often, they are shills. They don't have to be OrGreenic shills. There are dozens upon dozens of third parties standing to make money if someone clicks through their site to Amazon.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I'd probably be no more disappointed with OrGreenic than I was with Scan Pans. The Scan Pan company is leagues above OrGreenic in their business practices (no doubt), but was still a letdown for me, and not an inexpensive one either.

I still have 2 Faberware aluminum clad bottom non-stick pans that are holding up ok, but was looking for the latest non-stick pan invention. I tried Scan Pan (years ago) and it was fail for me. It looks as if Orgreenic would be too.

Exactly what non-stick coating is to be outlawed soon? Only teflon? Also, how many non-stick pans are made of something else? Do most use some engineered form teflon in their coating?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
And I look for how many positive reviews were by one-time-only reviewers. Too often, they are shills. They don't have to be OrGreenic shills. There are dozens upon dozens of third parties standing to make money if someone clicks through their site to Amazon.
So perceptive! I've seen this too although I've never focused my thoughts or put them into words like you have done.

I'm going to be buying new cookware soon, replacing all my old crap, and I'm going to choose my new cookware from one of the main lines as sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Perhaps Calphalon or something like that... Something main stream.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I not only read all the reviews, I also counted the 4,3,2 and 1 stars reviews. Totalled, they outnumber the 5 star reviews. I have yet to see an "As Seen On TV" product that lived up to the hype. The No No Hair Remover leaves burns on the skin as well as having the hairs smoking.

I would trust the reviews from Amazon before I would the website and the marketer. Of course they are going to hype the product. I want to hear what my everyday next door neighbor who has tried the product, after using it for a while has to say.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'd probably be no more disappointed with OrGreenic than I was with Scan Pans. The Scan Pan company is leagues above OrGreenic in their business practices (no doubt), but was still a letdown for me, and not an inexpensive one either.

I still have 2 Faberware aluminum clad bottom non-stick pans that are holding up ok, but was looking for the latest non-stick pan invention. I tried Scan Pan (years ago) and it was fail for me. It looks as if Orgreenic would be too.

Exactly what non-stick coating is to be outlawed soon? Only teflon? Also, how many non-stick pans are made of something else? Do most use some engineered form teflon in their coating?

It's voluntary and it's 2015.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
They wouldn't be a very good marketer if they said the product was garbage.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I was thinking about their infomercial. I bet they took their product and went thru dozens of eggs and many different temperature settings to get that ideal temp where their egg cooks up so it slides around in the pan. That egg that slid around was given special treatment, and not reproducible with the wide variation in peoples cook temps. There are what looks like 2 genuine posted reviews on YouTube, favorable. One by someone named Marissa who has other homestyle honest reviews. The thing is, her review of the pan is only a few months old. But she makes the pan perform pretty well before your eyes. It makes one wonder how many buyers got a bad batch of Orgreenic cookware from the factory. One person said she bought one pan at Bed Bath and Beyond and noticed it wasn't that shiny. Eggs stuck the first time. She went back and bought another pan that had a slighly more shiny coating. Her eggs didn't stick to that pan.

The lack of quality control probably accounts for many of the bad reviews.

Tags
cookware