"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Oven Proof Lids for off-brand dutch oven

My very well meaning but ill-informed husband bought me a Bella cast-iron enameled dutch oven for Christmas a couple of years ago. I was hoping for a Le Creuset like a spoiled schoolgirl; imagine my disappointment. I hid it well I think. I like it fine for stove top use but it is not oven-safe. I am considering switching the lid handle with a Le Creuset handle that I found on Amazon, but I am not sure if it is just the handle of my Bella that is not oven safe, or the entire lid. Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks!

Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

If the lid is the same material as the pot it should be fine but I can't say for sure as there isn't any info online. This seems to be a Macy's in-house brand and it's no longer available.

The LeCrueset standard knob is oven safe up to a certain temp. They also sell a metal knob that can handle higher temps.

Wrap the knob in foil and give it a try in the oven. If it breaks, you at least have an excuse to go ut and buy a replacement LeCrueset.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Sous Chef

It should be just the top handle that's not oven safe, but even the LeCruset come with a similar handle unless you opt for the oven-safe one specifically, which surprised me when my cousin recently bought an LCDO with the plastic lid handle on it just like my knock-off DO.
Unless the lid on your Bella DO isn't cast iron, which wouldn't make sense since I think part of being a DO is the cast iron lid that radiates heat back downward.
BTW, I don't feel there's much of any difference between LC and knock-off brands.

Tags
oven