Oven stones for pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scotty71

Cook
Can I use 12X12 by prox1/2 thick polished marble tiles for making my own set of stones to place on my oven rack for bread or pizza:chef:

Pizza stones are usually unglazed so the porous stone can draw moisture out of the crust. Glazed marble may not yield the expected result. Also, marble is more fragile than other tile material and may break from the expansion and contraction resulting for heating and cooling.

I will examine the un shny side of the marble tile-- I still in the final decision may go for pizza stones-- It will be about 62 dollars for the 2 stones from amazon including shipping compared to the total of 16 dollars for the 3 tiles I would need.

This is the amazon stone

Amazon.com: Pizzacraft PC0100 15" Square Cordierite Baking/Pizza Stone: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I bought a 16" round cordierite stone at Sur La Table to avoid shipping charges. Works great!

Why are you buying two stones? Are you planning to cook the pizza between the two?

I saw an episode of ATK where they put the pizza stone on the shelf near the very top of the oven so the oven ceiling would reflect the heat and cook the top faster. I've tried it and it works well. It could save you the price of one stone.

Andy, I have a 15 Inch round stone. I was going to use the 3 ceramic tiles and/or the 2 pizza stones so I could cut them to exactly fit the size od my oven rack which is 15 X 21.
I have never used my round pizza stone. I felt that getting a pizza from a peel to center on the round stone was not possible sooo I got the idea of cutting tiles or other stones to cover the entire shelf

Andy, I have a 15 Inch round stone. I was going to use the 3 ceramic tiles and/or the 2 pizza stones so I could cut them to exactly fit the size od my oven rack which is 15 X 21.
I have never used my round pizza stone. I felt that getting a pizza from a peel to center on the round stone was not possible sooo I got the idea of cutting tiles or other stones to cover the entire shelf

Good luck, I hope it works for you. I regularly manage the impossible, sliding an almost 16" round pizza onto my 16" round stone. How do I do it? Very very carefully.

Since most peels barely handle a 14" diameter pie a 15" stone should work. Seems most stones currently available are less thick than my 3/4" thick stone. Although preheating takes longer, a thicker stone holds more heat.

I love my pampered chef stones. They are fairly cheap plus they have a lot of pans in stone now also.

My neighbor goes out to yard sales and can find them pretty cheap.

I have one of these. It fits in one of my ovens, leaving the other one free for other things.
We only have one oven and leave the Hearthkit on the second from bottom shelf most all of the time. Like your stove, Leo, but enjoy having an oven up more at eye level. How far are you from the good folks at Fort Riley?

Last edited:
We only have one oven and leave the Hearthkit on the second from bottom shelf most all of the time. Like your stove, Leo, but enjoy having an oven up more at eye level. How far are you from the good folks at Fort Riley?

I live about 2 1/2 hours from the fort. I attended K-State back in the day, so I am well familiar with Fort Riley!

My back would like my ovens at eye level too!:LOL:

I live about 2 1/2 hours from the fort. I attended K-State back in the day, so I am well familiar with Fort Riley!

My back would like my ovens at eye level too!:LOL:
Sounds reminiscent of 'Fleet Week' social engineering in New York City, 'back in the day'. That came to a screeching halt some 25 - 30 years ago when certain parties objected to the fleet inviting YOUNG ladies to socialize with members of the fleet.

Last edited:
A while back I purchased a rectangular stone that is 3/4 in thick. Ive baked bread a couple of times. It has a shiny side and a rough side. the rough side is the baking side. I have 3/4 of an inch on both the right and left for circulation. It stays in the oven. I doubt that I will use the 14 inch round stone.

I guess I'm cheep. I have a scrap piece of leftover granite from out countertops. Works great on the polished side, but next time I'll try the other side.

Back
Top Bottom