"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Smile Ovenproof nonstick skillets

I'm considering buying an ovenproof nonstick skillet. Can anyone suggest any brands.....I currently own afew all-clad SS skillets, but recipies I'm looking @ such as frittatas, call for "nonstick" pans..............love any/all suggestions.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I buy inexpensive heavy aluminum pans with a non-stick coating. If they get scratched up, I can toss them. If you can find one with a metal handle, that would be the best option. Most all are oven-Proof up to about 350 F. Even those with plastic or wood handles. Check the makers website or the product label.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I like to go the opposite way of Andy, but that does not make his way wrong. I have Calphalon non stick pans. They were not cheap, but they hold up great. I believe they are oven proof up to 450. They are very heavy so they hold onto heat very well that way you don't have any hot spots. I have a scratch on one. The scratch is about 5 years old. It is deep and long, but has never negatively affected anything. The coating has not peeled around it like what happens on cheap pans and food has never stuck to the scratch. It is really just cosmetic.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I've never seen a fritatta recipe that called for a nonstick skillet. I make all my fritattas, and I am a fritatta makin' fool, in a cast iron skillet. In fact, I have two cast iron skillets; a 10-inch for family size fritattas, and a 6 inch for more intimate occasions, where a fritatta for two is required.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Nonstick & ovenproof.........

All the recipes I'm looking @ call for just that......"nonstick & ovenproof skillets" & one recipe called for the oven temp. to be 500 degrees..............I'm having family over for brunch & want the meal to come out good!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Cook

non-stick at 500 degrees? Is that safe? better put your canary near the stove to be sure.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Okay, first of all, stay away from the Ina Garten fritatta recipes. What she is making is NOT a fritatta, it is a soufflé! A fritatta has no flour, no baking powder or soda, and no milk or cream. A fritatta is eggs, with nothing added except vegetables, meat, and cheese. A classic fritatta also has potatoes, cut into small cubes and browned before adding them to the eggs.

Fritattas are NOT baked in the oven. That would be quiche! A fritatta is cooked on top of the stove until the bottom is lightly browned, then you slip it under the broiler to finish the top. Once the top is lightly browned like the bottom, you can add a cheese of your chioce and use the broiler to melt it, or leave it under even longer to make it brown and bubbly, like a pizza.

I told you I was a fritatta makin' fool, so please, do not desecrate my sacred fritatta!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook
non-stick at 500 degrees? Is that safe? better put your canary near the stove to be sure.
Non-stick doesn't outgas until almost 600 so 500 should be safe but using nonstick under the broiler isn't the best thing to do since some broilers may reach 700 or higher.

The cooking oil,shortning or lard used for cooking will reach it's smoke point well under 500 and smoke produced will kill your birds just as dead.

You should worry about your cooking medium killing your pets more than a teflon cooking surface.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Fritattas

O.k......Thankyou for the input. I did check on that recipe & it said to heat the fritatta in an 500degree oven for a SHORT time.........I forget where the recipe is from,as I have been looking @ ALOT of them. Thanks for the advice on Ina Garten...I'm a big fan of hers, and I think this time i will steer away from her...............I did pick up 2 Calphalon(?spell.) @ T.J. maxx(a 10 in. &12 in.) for $40, & $50...........saw the same things @ Crate & Barrel for ALOT more. I really appreciate the input, & happy to have found this site.