"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #31
Master Chef

Site Moderator

You will love homemade pizza. I have a stone, not PC, and I love it. I make pizza usually every weekend.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I love their utensils, absolutely, it's just the flat stones that I think are over rated.
Ditto on that!!! I have only been given Pampered Chef things as they are very expensive. I am not fond of the Stoneware and I have several. The pizza crust doesn't seem to cook all the way through when I use the Pizza Round and I tried baking cookies on the bigger rectangularstone and they just didn't bake well. Every once and a while I try them out again but don't seem to have anything good come out of it. The one that I DO like is the small oval casserole dish. I make baked ravioli in it and they taste wonderful.
The utensils on the otherhand I do like. I have several whisks, the peeler, some spatulas and other things and they are great. Very sturdy and durable.
I hope you have fun at the party though...at the very least, you will have a great time with some friends and family!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
I really like my PC garlic press. I've never really tried any other kind though, but it's durable and dishwasher-safe and it works great for me. I also have a PC measuring cup that holds 2 cups of "stuff". It has a cup inserted with a clear edge around it. You push the inner part up and it scrapes the sides clean so you don't have the shortening or peanut butter mess. I'm having a hard time describing it and I can't find a picture. Maybe I'll post one if it's something you are interested in.
It's like an ice cream push-up. I have one, too, and it's great for measuring those kinds of sticky things that are hard to get in and out of regular measuring cups.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. No I too don't consider a stone a gadget. I'm mainly interested in the stone to bake pizzas. I want to start really trying to get the whole homemade crust thing down and I think I'll get better results baking it on stone vs a pizza pan.

I've made up my mind.....I'm buying the pizza stone from PC. And I think I'll pick up the garlic press too. Thanks again everyone!
Well, if pizza is your goal, look no further for the easiest, best pizza dough recipe you will ever find, afaik

No Knead Pizza Dough: Pear and Gorgonzola Flatbread with Baby Arugula and Shaved Parmesan | Jaden's Steamy Kitchen
Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Cuillo View Post
Ditto on that!!! I have only been given Pampered Chef things as they are very expensive. I am not fond of the Stoneware and I have several. The pizza crust doesn't seem to cook all the way through when I use the Pizza Round and I tried baking cookies on the bigger rectangular stone and they just didn't bake well. Every once and a while I try them out again but don't seem to have anything good come out of it. The one that I DO like is the small oval casserole dish. I make baked ravioli in it and they taste wonderful.
The utensils on the otherhand I do like. I have several whisks, the peeler, some spatulas and other things and they are great. Very sturdy and durable.
I hope you have fun at the party though...at the very least, you will have a great time with some friends and family!
That's very odd. I have a round stone I got at least 10 years ago and have never had any problems like you describe.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #36
Master Chef

I make pizza on my stones just fine. I haven't done it this way before but I understand you can preheat the stone and slide you pizza on it like they do in the pizzarias. You need that paddle thingy (can't think of the name of it right now) to do it but I hear you can get take-out pizza crust at home doing it this way. Oh and the oven needs to be really hot 450 deg. I usually roll out my dough on a room temp stone, top it with our faves and cheese and pop it in the hot oven. I agree about the utensils being sturdy. I have 2 whisks, several of the silcone spatulas, and 2 of the big stainless cooking spatulas. They are all great and I would definitely get them again.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's very odd. I have a round stone I got at least 10 years ago and have never had any problems like you describe.

Yummmmmm....thanks! I'm gonna go look for that cookbook too.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My problem could be that I followed my SIL's directions on using it and cleaning it. Maybe she didn't give them to me right OR maybe the quality has deteriorated in recent years. Mine is only a year old and I hate it. She recently suggested oven cleaner, she used to be a PC consultant. I guess it can't hurt because right now it's just a round paperweight.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #39
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
.... She recently suggested oven cleaner...
I would not try that. Since the stones are porous it will absorb the cleaner and the chemicals and at the point you might as well chuck it in the trash. I found this running a Google Search for ' cleaning pizza stones' , hope it helps.

Questions and Answers - Cleaning Pizza Stones
Old 08-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #40
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
...I haven't done it this way before but I understand you can preheat the stone and slide you pizza on it like they do in the pizzarias....
Here is how I do it: In a cold oven, I put my oven rack on the lowest setting, put the stone on it and then set the oven to 450 degrees and wait 1 hour. Then make your pizza and slide it onto the stone. It only takes mine about 9-11 minutes to cook, depending on how thick I makes the crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
You need that paddle thingy (can't think of the name of it right now) to do it but I hear you can get take-out pizza crust at home doing it this way. ...
It is called a pizza peal. Dust the peal with corn meal and make the pizza on the peal. Just check to be sure it is loose and will slide before you try and slide it off the peal onto the stone.