"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #11
Sous Chef
The professional chefs don't care diddly squat about what happens to the pans they're using. If a pan discolors because of overheating, so what? If it's a tv show, they get a new one. If it's a real commercial kitchen, they keep using the pan. They don't care what it looks like so long as it works and the food comes out the way they want it.

All Clad doesn't want you to complain about warped pans or discolored stainless steel, so they warn against high heat.

Of course, any pan will overheat to the point it's damaged if left on too long at max heat.

Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:08 PM   #12
Thanks for the feedback. I email All Clad and they said this.

Thank you for your interest in All-Clad products.

While we do not recommend the use of high heat that is not to say that the heat cannot be increased carefully. You can use higher heat to sear meats as long as you watch carefully and make sure not to overheat the pan.

Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef
gotta take a lot into consideration as always:

your stove: how high is high heat?? do you have a jiffy apt range circa 1943, or do you have a Vulcan Home Instalation with WOK burner at 25,000 btus??

are we talking gas or electric or glasstop??

are you walking away to clean the toilet while your pan cracks and melts or are you an attentive cook?

And finally is it a good thick heavy pan or is it a flimsy ppiece of stamped metal. non stick lined?? etc

oh, and how's your ventilation?? I wish I could smoke up my house the way they do on FoodTV without the firetrucks showing up!!

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote