"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
Cook

Pan Etiquette

Hey, I'm wondering what kind of pan's these chef's use to sear with. These cooking programs always show them using high heat on the stove then placing the pan in the oven to finish the dish. All Clad advises to not use high heat or it will void the warrantee. How do you sear meat with medium heat? The only pan I know of that can handle high heat is cast iron or wok's. What's the big picture?

Old 09-18-2004, 08:59 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

hey stevie,
my all clad cookware says it can handle oven temps to about 400 degrees, but i've worn it out and stayed below that temp. i think i'd go for stainless steel or copper sandwiched in steel next time.
i use cast iron for any high heat applications, or "sear in the pan then pop in the oven" type meats, like thick cuts of beef tenderloin or chops. they heat pretty evenly, and retain heat well also. if you season them well, they get kinda non-sticky. if they eventually get a bit of rust, all you have to do is sand it out and re-season. they'll last for years. i have a grill pan, which is great for meats, and a regular fry pan; great for pan fried stuff like chicken. my frying pan was my aunt's, whom i think got it from her mil from scotland, so it's at least 75 years old.
just one more note, a caveat really. do not put heat to non-stick cookware for too long without putting something in the pan to cook. overheated non-stick cookware releases a poisin gas (phosgene, i think) that can harm you and your pets, especially birds.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:40 AM   #3
Master Chef

i have almost all clad-ware and it can take heat. but if you're worried, the cast iron is great.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:47 AM   #4
Executive Chef

i have all-clad and le creuset at home, and i've used analon, calphalon, etc. and others. i always turn everything on to high and let the oil smoke before I sear anything, and I haven't experienced any problems so far. The pans will be okay unless you have rubber/plastic handles and you put them into an oven that is too hot. The manufacturers just put those things on to protect themselves. put your burners on high and sear away
Old 09-19-2004, 07:58 AM   #5
Cook

lol, Cool
Old 09-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #6
Senior Cook

If you look closely, you'll see the pans they use are restraurant equipment. You can get these pans at any restaurant equipment store in your area. They are terrific for high heat cooking and of course they go from stovetop to oven. I have 2 of them along with my all time favorites, LeCreuset and Lodge Cast Iron. Check it out.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Certified Executive Chef

Re: Pan Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie
Hey, I'm wondering what kind of pan's these chef's use to sear with. These cooking programs always show them using high heat on the stove then placing the pan in the oven to finish the dish. All Clad advises to not use high heat or it will void the warrantee. How do you sear meat with medium heat? The only pan I know of that can handle high heat is cast iron or wok's. What's the big picture?
My all time favorite is my cast iron skillets. They are the greatest, to me, for going from stove top to oven. I prepare meats like that all the time. I use two, one to sear and the second one is in the oven, when the meat is seared I transfer it to the second one in the oven, then deglaze the first with dry vermouth, chicken stock, etc. When the meat is done, I pour whatever juices have collected in that pan into the deglazed pan, reduce and add 1 tbsp butter and blend and pour over meat. The cast iron skillets are nothing to clean, I run them under warm water and wipe with a paper towel. Sounds complicated but it really is not.

:roll: DUCKS GOT PLUCKED IN OKLA
Old 09-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Quote:
My all time favorite is my cast iron skillets. They are the greatest, to me, for going from stove top to oven. I prepare meats like that all the time. I use two, one to sear and the second one is in the oven, when the meat is seared I transfer it to the second one in the oven, then deglaze the first with dry vermouth, chicken stock, etc. When the meat is done, I pour whatever juices have collected in that pan into the deglazed pan, reduce and add 1 tbsp butter and blend and pour over meat. The cast iron skillets are nothing to clean, I run them under warm water and wipe with a paper towel. Sounds complicated but it really is not.

Another method I've heard of but not used to clean cast iron skillets is to wipe them out with salt and a piece of bread.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #9
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
Quote:

Another method I've heard of but not used to clean cast iron skillets is to wipe them out with salt and a piece of bread.
mudbug you are right, however, that is to reseason a rusted pan, which I use the kosher or rock salt, but never tried bread, but will. Thanks
Old 09-19-2004, 11:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

maatha stewart reccomends you clean cast iron with salt only, no water, but then again when do you think was the last time she washed dishes?
i rinse out my cast iron, and if food is really burnt, i'll put an inch of water in it and boil the burned stuff to soften it, then scrape and wash it out. just be sure as norgeskog said to dry it with a towel well, and i usually put mine back on a burner for a minute or two to be sure they're dry.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote