"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

People of Europe, Middle East & Africa - Do you use a wok?

Users in Europe, the Middle East, or Africa, do you use a wok when you cook? What kind of wok is it? How do you cook with it (stir-fry, steam, etc)? Do you cook any local/traditional/cultural foods in the wok? Is there any traditional cookware that is similar to a wok in your culture?

I've heard Italians use a wok to cook meatballs. Really curious if there's a similar "crossover" in other regions... I've also seen that in some middle eastern countries, a "Kadai" is used, which is like a version of a wok. Really curious about other types of woks like the Kadai.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Head Chef

Come on people. You don't know that he's anything other than what he says he is. You are really being nasty for no justifiable reason. Jumping to conclusions without any evidence is just wrong. This is supposed to be a friendly, welcoming forum.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Come on people. You don't know that he's anything other than what he says he is. You are really being nasty for no justifiable reason. Jumping to conclusions without any evidence is just wrong. This is supposed to be a friendly, welcoming forum.
That's my take.

I am a good ol' American living and cooking here all my life. I have a carbon steel wok that I use at least a couple of times a week. Generally not for oriental cuisine, but that too.

A wok can do everything from boiling water through frying eggs up to whatever you want to do.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Hello. I'm Italian, but , generally, I don't use a wok to cook. Sometime I use it to cook the "Paella" (? do you know? It's like rice with fish and vegetable), or "sautee" pasta.Bye, Cristina
Old 01-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
Master Chef

Hmmm, looks like some nasty posts were removed between post 1 and 2.

The subject doesn't interest me, so it's always better to say nothing and just scroll on by.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:02 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I use a wok regularly, mostly for deep frying as it uses less oil then a chip pan or deep fryer. Occasionally used for stir fry too. It said beaten iron on the label when I bought it, not sure exactly what material that would be, something like mild steel I would guess. It will rust if not kept oiled, but once seasoned has stayed non stick for the last 25 years.