Pfaltzgraff pie pan problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddfin

Assistant Cook
I have these Pfaltzgraff (Yorktowne) pie pans for 20+ years and now they are stained with so many uses. The problem is that they both are making my crusts taste bad, like old, burned oil.

Are they past their prime? Or is there something I could do to make them work again. I can't do another pie in them until they're better or they'll just wind up under a potted plant.

Thank you for any help.

Diana:ermm:

You didn't say what the pan material is but if it's impacting the taste of the food you're cooking it's time to trash it.

Yeah, sadly let the flower pot have it.

Welcome to DC. Please do stick around. We love new members to join us.

Welcome to DC!

Yeah, once your dishes start making your crusts taste bad, I'm afraid it's time for plant duty.

If I was at the point of throwing it out, or using it under a flower pot, I think I'd try putting some ammonia in it first, let it sit for 5 minutes at most, then wash. I'm always amazed at the oily residue on some things, and how ammonia will dissolve it. Ammonia also works on acrylic lacquers (like floor shining products), dissolves those too. What could it hurt at that point?

Welcome, Diana! :flowers: Take a look around and join on in!

Yeah, that's what I do with pie pans, tart dishes, etc.....if they don't work in the kitchen anymore, they end up out on the patio under plants. :)

Pfaltzgraff stoneware pie pan problem

Thank you all for your input. I decided to give it one last try.

I soaked it in very hot water super-saturated with baking soda overnight. Some of the burned on oil from the bottom came off with scrubbing but who knows how much is still hanging around.

I'm going to run it through my dishwasher next.

I'll make a little dough circle and bake it and see what happens.

ddfin, I'm not sure how this would work on Pfaltzgraff, but it's done a great job on Corningware pie plates and casserole dishes. I make a soft paste from water and Bon Ami no-scratch scouring cleanser and scrub away with a no-scratch sponge or pad, like a Dobie pad. I've also used Soft Scrub liquid cleanser with bleach, but I always have Bon Ami in the house.

Whatever you do, good luck with cleaning the pan. If all else fails, put it under a potted plant...until you find something that works. ;)

I believe you have the right of it. Soak with the baking soda, or make a paste with it. and scrub with a stiff brush.

If the inside of your dish is glazed, the taste is not coming from there, but from the bottom of the plate. The fumes are permeating around and into the current pie being baked.

I believe the bottom is not glazed? In which case, over the years it has picked up juices from over-spill of whatever you are baking. This is absorbed by the clay as it is not vitreous.

Someone once told me that a salt paste is also good for it but I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom