Pitting In SS Pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevie

Cook
I've noticed a little pitting in my All-Clad saute pan after browning a roast over the weekend. All-Clad advises not to add salt until food has come to a boil or after it starts cooking to avoid this. I used kosher salt and seasoned it before cooking. The pitting wont affect the function I've read but I'd like to avoid it if I can. So, is it a good method to season after or while the foods cooking or should I just pit away?

You should always season meat before you cook it.

Maybe you can use a pan other than a saute pan to brown you rmeat. A cast iron skillet is great for this. They aren't that pricey and you will fall in love with it.

I have a Le Creuset french oven and some cast iron skillets but I thought the saute pan would suffice it was a small roast. Thanks jennyema

Once it has pitted there is really nothing you can do about it. It is just cosmetic though. It won't affect performance.

ok, did anyone else read this thread as "spitting in ss pans?", :chef:
i guess it was all of the s's...

it's a good way to tell if the pan is hot...

Well, I guess I wont be using that pan again for roasting. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that it pits so easily. I thought kosher salt being so light and flaky wouldn't have done that. I've read some people's post about how they don't baby their cookware, I guess I do.

When you boil water for pasta/vegetables/whatever, you want to put the salt in after the water has come to a boil, not while the water is still cold. That's what they mean. It does not mean you can't salt food before it is roasted/browned.

When the water is cold and the salt begins to churn in the water it hits the sides and bottom of the pan, it doesn't melt right away - that is what causes the pitting/scratches and why you wait until it comes to a boil - it dissolves much quicker.

If it were me and I paid a lot of money for my pan I would take it back.

Do you have true "pitting" (holes in the surface of the cookware) or do you have a white deposit that is on the surface of the cookware?

I've got cheap Emerilware (bastard child cookware made by All-Clad) and after 2 years I have had no problems with "pitting" - but I do have problems with salt "deposits" on the surface - caused by the minerals in water and table/kosher salts.

Hi Michael, it's only 4 little places that Barkeepers Friend won't remove about .015-.030 in diameter. Not a big deal really I was just wondering what caused them, most likely salt like you explained.

I agree with Michael. Salt marks from water and salt on SS are not real pits inthe surface. Revere makes a stainless and copper cream polish that is good and take sosme of those marks off. But eventually some wil remain, thus I'm not thrilled with stainless.
Do I baby my pots. No, but I do follow the rules for each type of cooking surface. Still if you use your cookware, it will show it, proudly!

I really don't see any way to avoid this reaction with SS pans. No matter how careful you are to avoid it SS will react, spot, stain, pit... but it does work well. It's like having a shiny new car and seeing a scratch on it.

Back
Top Bottom