"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pizza Stone Question

I received a pizza stone for Christmas and after using it my wife washed it with Dawn liquid soap.I detected a soapy smell the next time I used it and decided to read the instructions,isnt this typical,and read DO NOT WASH WITH SOAP but no remedy if you do.I have baked several pies since then and get a strong aroma of soap when I do but do not seem to taste anything.I have tried to soak it out with plain water but to no avail .Has anybody in the worid done this or am I the only one?If you have a cure I would apprciate resurrecting my poor stone instead of declaring it dead and watch it being relegated to the bottom of my wifes plant stand.Thanx for any help!

Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Cook

Try soaking it for two or three days in clean water. Change the water ever few hours if you can. Then maybe... try a weak solution of baking soda and water. Watch the stone's reaction and if it starts to fizz wash off immediately. Maybe this will work.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

I've had my pizza stone for many years. In that time (yeah, I know you're not supposed to wash it with soap) I've washed it quite often. Especially since after baking a garlic pizza, I want to bake something sweet. I've never tasted a soapy flavor. I suppose if you still feel like the dish soap is lingering, scrubbing with a baking soda paste may do the trick. However, I wouldn't soak it, as the stone's porosity may prove to be a hinderance.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Give me your pizza stone. Within a couple of weeks it will crack, and you'll have an excuse to buy a new one, which you WILL NOT WASH WITH SOAP!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

I'm curious - why would it crack, Caine?
Mine has never even chipped and I believe I've had it at least 10 years.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to mad_evo99
Maybe I'm Mr. Obvious, but I think Caine would crack it on purpose...
Old 02-06-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Pizza stones are very pourous (if i spelled it right) :). That is why you do not want to wash them in dish soap. Actually you do not want to wash them at all. Same goes for wooden peels. Anyways, i would not throw it away unless you can taste a soapy taste to your pizza. This is how i clean my peel. After i cook pizza i let them cool (of course) and i scrap it with a dough scraper. Works pretty good and you soon have a pizza stone that looks pretty good. Anything thing you can do is leave it in your oven when you do the self-clean cycle. Then just wipe it clean when its done. I prefer the dough scraper method but any of them work great.

Ncage
Old 02-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Umm i very likely dought you are right on this one. THere are two things that causes pizza stones to crack:

1) Big temperature changes. Say you heat the stone to a scortching temperature on say a good gas grill that gets hot like a weber genesis. I know my grate temperature can get well passed 650. Anyways open the lid (especially when its cold out or if you open the lid all the way to let a lot of the heat out) and you could crack your stone.

2) Get something wet on the stone when hot. Say for example your sauce is to watery and it spills over on the stone. This definitly could cause a crack.

3) Lots and lots of use where it heats up and cools down. Of course this takes a long time especially with a good quality stone (thick).

The soap might cause a bad after taste but i very very unlikely it will cause the stone to crack.

Oh ya you might be able to soak your stone in water if you do have a soap after taste and as long as the soap residue disolves (might want to give a good soak time (48hours)) through the basic scientific principle of osmosis (the tendency of a substance to go from a area of higher concentration (your stone) to an area of lower concentration (the fresh water) until equilbrium is reached.). If you do this method you might want to flush with fresh water as often as you can to keep the soap moving from the stone to the water outside. If you do this make sure the stone thoroughly dries before you use it again (especially if you cook your pizza at rocket hot temperatures like i do 550F). Don't think because the stone is dry on the exterior that some of the pores could not have retained some of the moisture. It might be safer to put the pizza in the oven at its lowest temperature for 30 min to make sure its thoroughly dry before you try high temperatures again.

Hope this helps,
Ncage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Give me your pizza stone. Within a couple of weeks it will crack, and you'll have an excuse to buy a new one, which you WILL NOT WASH WITH SOAP!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #9
Master Chef

Try a little lemon juice with your baking soda and see it that doesn't help. I've never tried it myself but other friends with stones swear by the combo for cleaning. Once the stone is well seasoned, a little soap won't soak in and shouldn't be a problem but I still wouldn't use soap on a regular basis for cleaning.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Can you just oil it a bit and bake it out?