Pizza stone safe to remove from oven when hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

I purchased an allclad pizza stone and I'm wondering if it's safe to remove from the oven when it is hot? I don't want it to the stone to crack or break with the change of temperature. I'm only asking because of the ring tray that comes with it. In the care & use paper it says that I can use the pizza cutter on the stone.

Last edited:
Yes it is okay to take the stone out of the oven hot. Just don't set it on a cold surface. I take mine out hot all the time and set it on a trivet or hotpad on the counter and have never had it crack. The temperature change from an oven to room temp is not severe enough to cause a crack.

I put a metal pizza pan under my stone in the oven. When the whole thing is removed from the oven it's my insurance that if the stone has cracked in the oven, it won't fall apart by the time I get it to the counter.
By the way, there's no reason one can't use an already cracked pizza stone with this method.

pizza stone

Hello,

I purchased an allclad pizza stone and I'm wondering if it's safe to remove from the oven when it is hot? I don't want it to the stone to crack or break with the change of temperature. I'm only asking because of the ring tray that comes with it. In the care & use paper it says that I can use the pizza cutter on the stone.

I don't have an Allclad anything simply due to the $$$$$$ of the cookware. I do have a ceramic grill which is perfect as a pizza oven, as it gives me the charcoal or wood flavors. For a pizza stone, I went to a store that sells items for pottery handcrafts and purchased a 16 inch round kiln shelf. It has withstood temperatures up to about 750 degrees while sitting about 4 inches off the fire. IMO this is probably the best pizza stone/heat difuser money can buy, and it only cost me $25.

Back
Top Bottom