"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I've never tried buttering the tin as well myself so I can't say but to your other query, I do have the kind of fluted tin you have and other sorts besides in different sizes. My metal ring one that goes straight onto a baking sheet is good if I am blind baking. I can lift it off quite easily but it is only for 4-6 portions, quite small.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
A tart is a pastry that usually uses a short crust and is filled. Commonly filled with fruit and pastry cream or a custard of some sort.
Basically, it's an open pie. The tin or dish is lined with pastry - usually shortcrust pastry or, rarely, puff pastry. The filling, which can be sweet or savoury, goes into the pastry case without a covering layer of pastry.

Have a look at these

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ta...AUoAQ&dpr=0.95

(Occasionally a tart can be made on a flat-ish plate and filled with jam but we won't go there now.)

Old 02-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Love you to bits, menumaker! You made my day. It isn't just me, then...

But I looked on youtube for cooks extracting their quiches from their fluted pans and it seems to work.

While I'm here: Even though the pastry has tons of butter, the cooks on youtube apply butter to the bottom & sides of the tart pan before placing the crust in. What do you think of that.

Also, do you have the standard kind of tart cooking dish or the deep kind with large flutes like I do?
It isn't usual to grease tins/pans for pastry as the pastry has enough of its own fat to stop anything sticking. Extra grease can make the pastry fry and, if the worst comes to the worst, it may burn.

Do you bake your pastry case "blind"? ie with no filling in it? You might find this works better than putting the filling on top of the raw pastry.

Baking blind means you line the tin with pastry,prick the base with a fork then put a layer of baking parchment in the bottom and cover it with a layer of dried beans or those ceramic beads sold for the purpose to stop the pastry rising while it's cooking. You bake this until it's almost done then carefully remove the paper and beans and put the tin with the pastry case in it back into the oven to finish baking. You will find that the pastry has shrunk very slightly away from the sides of the tin. This will make it easier to remove from the tin when the dish is complete. Cool it completely in the tin and then add the filling and put back in the oven to cook the filling.

Hope that helps
Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Check out my Cheese and Tomato Tart. Everyone who tried it, loved it. I ended up having to make a second one. The picture is the real thing, not clip art.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:10 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Check out my Cheese and Tomato Tart. Everyone who tried it, loved it. I ended up having to make a second one. The picture is the real thing, not clip art.
That tart looks delicious. And it is doable in the home kitchen. The ingredients are every day ones that you would purchase at least once a month. You don't have to use the Amoretti products. You can purchase the olive oil that is a little pricier along with the olives that can be purchased at the deli and still have quality products.

Did you make that for the Amoretti Company?
Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Oh MC,
You temptress you! Plate made Jam tart, treacle tart, trimmings twisted on the top and Birds custard of course. These of my childhood ( and your's I suspect) so Yes, let's go there, you and me down memory lane at least.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Do you bake your pastry case "blind"? ie with no filling in it? You might find this works better than putting the filling on top of the raw pastry.

I just follow the instructions on the recipe, and usually they recommend to blind bake. Am not a highly experienced baker, but the other day I thought I'd try again to make a tart. However, the pastry portion of the recipe called for:

1 C. of flour and only 1/4 cup of butter.

Even I know that sounds goofy but I did it anyway. We could not eat the result, we just scraped the filling out...feh.

Any comments, anyone? I'm enjoying this discussion thoroughly and getting lots of good advice here.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Oh MC,
You temptress you! Plate made Jam tart, treacle tart, trimmings twisted on the top and Birds custard of course. These of my childhood ( and your's I suspect) so Yes, let's go there, you and me down memory lane at least.
Very occasionally when no-one's looking I make myself one and, yes, it has to have Birds custard Nothing else is quite the same.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Did you make that for the Amoretti Company?
Yes, I am a consultant for Amoretti, and that is what I do. I provide product descriptions and create recipes using their products for publication on their web pages. Of course, I am required to prepare the recipes I create to make sure they are both feasible and delicious.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Mad Cook: "(Occasionally a tart can be made on a flat-ish plate and filled with jam but we won't go there now.)"

Er...how long does "now" last?

Can you direct me to recipes for such a tart as you describe above? I have lots o' home-made jam that I am looking to use for...a tart.

Gracias.

Tags
cook, cooking