"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookingcowboy View Post
I'm so new and buying cookware, is this a type or a brand name? And if its a brand name do they make different models (like Ford makes many cars). Or is this an elite brand that only makes top quality cookware?

Can anyone tell me how i would know if the pan can move directly from yet stovetop to the oven? Thank you
All-Clad is a top quality brand. They have several lines from plain to fancy and all are the same quality with different appearances. Hard to go wrong if money is not an issue. Not all their lines are DW safe but all can go into the oven.

Just about any cookware can go in the oven up to 350F. Even with non-metal handles. I have a cheap set of three non-stick skillets with plastic handles that I put in the oven from time to time with no issues. All metal cookware can withstand higher temps w/o damage.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

Do what professional chefs do (I'm talking about working chefs, not celebrity chefs who get all those expensive top-of-the-line pots and pans free-fer-nuthin if they use them on their TV show!). Go to a kitchen supply store, buy the best pan you can get for the money, usually aluminium, with or without a non-stick coating, and when it wears out, melts down, falls apart or whatever, you toss it into the recycle bin and go back for another one. You can get a whole passel of serviceable restaurant quality pans from a kitchen supply store for the cost of one All-Clad 10-inch frying pan.

I have a complete set of tri-ply All-Clad style cookware, from the 1 1/2 quart pot to the 10 gallon spaghetti cooker and everything in between, and several Calphalon pans, and you know which pan is always in the dishwasher? My $19.95 As-Seen-On-TV Orgreenic 10-inch fryiing pan!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I know you said dishwasher safe but my grandma got me a cast iron pan set a few months after my wedding (also a Henkel knife set going strong after 5 years of non recommended dish washing in response to your other post) and we love it dearly.

After seasoning its natural non stick, it will sear food even on a crappy electric burner, goes from stovetop to oven. And unless you make something saucy I don't clean it so well. I wipe it out maybe rinse it and oil it,
Sometimes I'm bad and dish wash it if its really dirty but they always survive if I take it of the dishwasher right away and oil it.
Congrats on the wedding
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Can anyone offer advice about the quality of these items listed below please?

1) Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware, 13 Piece Set - Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's

2) Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel Cookware, 13 Piece Set - Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's

3) Calphalon Tri Ply Copper Cookware, 10 Piece Set - Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's

Or for this money am I better off selecting items slightly higher priced with much better quality?

I also found these on sale:

4) All-Clad Stainless Steel Cookware, 10 Piece Set - Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's

5) All-Clad Masterchef 2 Cookware, 10 Piece Set - Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Admiral of the Texas Navy

What kind of cook top do you plan to use with your new cookware set? Do you plan to use induction burners?

I recently had a close look at several manufactures of top quality cookware. I eventually bought Mauviel M'cook 5 ply Stainless Steel Cookware and am very happy with it's performance and construction.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd go with #4, #1, #2 in that order. I'd stay away from aluminum and copper.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
What kind of cook top do you plan to use with your new cookware set? Do you plan to use induction burners?
It's an electric stove with coils, it looks like the picture below. But I am renting and we may move in a few years so the stove will likely change, it may not be the best guide about which I should buy.

Image Detail for - ... Stoves - Gas and Electric :: Frigidaire apartment size electric stove
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thank you.
Is 4 your clear favorite of the group, or is it close to the others?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I agree
Old 04-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

I have many pieces of the All-Clad SS line and really like them. I also have a piece or two of Calphalon that work fine.