"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastinG
What do you think of this set?

Calphalon SH10 - Simply Nonstick 10 Piece Cookware Set - Calphalon SH10 - Cookware Essentials. Cookware Coffee Makers Blenders Skillets Tea Kettles Cookware Sets

EDIT: Can I stick the whole frying pan in the oven without it melting? It says 450 degrees oven safe. So I think I am good.
Since the handles are all metal there should be no problems using them in the oven.

You can probably do better for your $200. Anolon Titanium 10 pc for about the same cost and Cuisinart Chef's classsic nonstick for even less.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000UTUWY/ref=wl_it_dp/002-9948017-3805616?ie=UTF8&coliid=IQEODJ1GKDVYD&colid=2X0LGLR WWSEMY

Amazon.com: Cuisinart Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 10-Piece Cookware Set: Kitchen & Housewares

Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I too like Calphalon, however be aware that the "Simply" line tends to be of lesser quality and thinner construction and therefore will not cook as evenly as a better quality anodized or tri-ply pan. I would seriously suggest that if you really like the looks of this line, that you buy a single fry pan or sauce pan to give it a try before investing $300 in a set you may or may not like.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

These are what I am looking at so far...

Amazon.com: Calphalon Tri-Ply Stainless 8-Piece Cookware Set: Home & Garden

I am Going to see if I can find a better Price and keep shopping on products. I wanted to get a strainer with the set, but I can buy that separate I guess. Still looking around though~!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

That looks like a terrific set of cookware. Good choice!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Very nice set, coastinG. Also, you can add to it as time goes byand your needs grow.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Looks like a good basic set, G. And, as Andy says, you can add to it as necessary. You might also want to check out Amazon's "Friday Sales." Just look on the left side of the main page and scroll down until you find "Friday Sales."
Old 07-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #27
Senior Cook

200.00 for a beginners set of 10 pots is too much money for pots you won't want to keep. I buy each pot or pan. I have been cooking for decades. Given you're just starting IMO buy what you need to cook what you are learning to do not a set. Get a good (not great) dutch oven if you are doing stews. Like to stir fry then a good (not GREAT) Wok or chef's pan. One learns to ride on a coaster bike with training wheels not on a 15 speed super LeTour. Try doing bacon in different pans (cast iron and stainless steel) on gas then electric it is surprising that it is stove you and the pot not just a good pot making great food.

I buy All-Clad copper core as seconds from the factory store. LeCreuset at their factory store right now I got 30% off on factory store prices for first quality (retail of $230.00 for a 3.5 Qt panela pan) factory price $161.00 sale $120.00 with tax saved off suggested retail $110.00.

Become familiar with manufactures construction and price. T.J. Max, HomeGoods or Marshalls can have a hidden gem at very low prices.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
your birds will thank you!
If you're refering to the gas nonstick produces when overheated that doesn't happen until the cooking vessel reaches almost 600 and any cooking oil, shortning or lard will have reached it's smoke point long before that and your birds will not thank you for that so if you are concerned about toxic fumes harming your birds best not cook anything that could cause smoke during the cooking process no matter what cookware you're using.

Even worse many cleaning agents will release harmful fumes at room temperature so better not use those also.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Try these LE GOURMET CHEF offerings. Two stainless steel tri-ply sets and two anodized aluminium with non-stick sets, both provide name brand quality at a no-name price, and they do stand behind their lifetime guarantee.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron W.
If you're refering to the gas nonstick produces when overheated that doesn't happen until the cooking vessel reaches almost 600 and any cooking oil, shortning or lard will have reached it's smoke point long before that and your birds will not thank you for that so if you are concerned about toxic fumes harming your birds best not cook anything that could cause smoke during the cooking process no matter what cookware you're using.

Even worse many cleaning agents will release harmful fumes at room temperature so better not use those also.
ya wanna get feisty, eh? {{{shuffling around with my dukes up}}}}

just kidding, ron. we've discussed this matter here a few times, with varying answers.

yes, you're quite correct on that. boids shouldn't be anywhere near a kitchen, period, and of course all cleaning products are dangers. but kitchens and dining areas are often sunny places in the house, and bathrooms steamy, so lots of people tend to keep their birds in or near those rooms.

btw, the dangerous chemical, ptfe, has been known to be released at temps around 500 to 550. i'm not sure which #'s are accurate, but a pan left on a burner will reach even higher than 600 if mistakenly left unattended for several minutes. same goes for a non-stick pan left in an oven set to self-cleaning cycle.

so, don't keep your canaries in the kitchen, nor let your ostriches play in the dumbwaiter. (you can never get them out, once they start!)

sorry, more old jokes.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote