Pots and Pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CoastinG said:
What do you think of this set?

Calphalon SH10 - Simply Nonstick 10 Piece Cookware Set - Calphalon SH10 - Cookware Essentials. Cookware Coffee Makers Blenders Skillets Tea Kettles Cookware Sets

EDIT: Can I stick the whole frying pan in the oven without it melting? It says 450 degrees oven safe. So I think I am good.

Since the handles are all metal there should be no problems using them in the oven.

You can probably do better for your $200. Anolon Titanium 10 pc for about the same cost and Cuisinart Chef's classsic nonstick for even less.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000UTUWY/ref=wl_it_dp/002-9948017-3805616?ie=UTF8&coliid=IQEODJ1GKDVYD&colid=2X0LGLRWWSEMY

Amazon.com: Cuisinart Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 10-Piece Cookware Set: Kitchen & Housewares

Last edited:
I too like Calphalon, however be aware that the "Simply" line tends to be of lesser quality and thinner construction and therefore will not cook as evenly as a better quality anodized or tri-ply pan. I would seriously suggest that if you really like the looks of this line, that you buy a single fry pan or sauce pan to give it a try before investing $300 in a set you may or may not like.

Looks like a good basic set, G. And, as Andy says, you can add to it as necessary. You might also want to check out Amazon's "Friday Sales." Just look on the left side of the main page and scroll down until you find "Friday Sales."

200.00 for a beginners set of 10 pots is too much money for pots you won't want to keep. I buy each pot or pan. I have been cooking for decades. Given you're just starting IMO buy what you need to cook what you are learning to do not a set. Get a good (not great) dutch oven if you are doing stews. Like to stir fry then a good (not GREAT) Wok or chef's pan. One learns to ride on a coaster bike with training wheels not on a 15 speed super LeTour. Try doing bacon in different pans (cast iron and stainless steel) on gas then electric it is surprising that it is stove you and the pot not just a good pot making great food.

I buy All-Clad copper core as seconds from the factory store. LeCreuset at their factory store right now I got 30% off on factory store prices for first quality (retail of $230.00 for a 3.5 Qt panela pan) factory price $161.00 sale $120.00 with tax saved off suggested retail $110.00.

Become familiar with manufactures construction and price. T.J. Max, HomeGoods or Marshalls can have a hidden gem at very low prices.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
your birds will thank you! :)

If you're refering to the gas nonstick produces when overheated that doesn't happen until the cooking vessel reaches almost 600° and any cooking oil, shortning or lard will have reached it's smoke point long before that and your birds will not thank you for that so if you are concerned about toxic fumes harming your birds best not cook anything that could cause smoke during the cooking process no matter what cookware you're using.

Even worse many cleaning agents will release harmful fumes at room temperature so better not use those also.

Try these LE GOURMET CHEF offerings. Two stainless steel tri-ply sets and two anodized aluminium with non-stick sets, both provide name brand quality at a no-name price, and they do stand behind their lifetime guarantee.

Ron W. said:
If you're refering to the gas nonstick produces when overheated that doesn't happen until the cooking vessel reaches almost 600° and any cooking oil, shortning or lard will have reached it's smoke point long before that and your birds will not thank you for that so if you are concerned about toxic fumes harming your birds best not cook anything that could cause smoke during the cooking process no matter what cookware you're using.

Even worse many cleaning agents will release harmful fumes at room temperature so better not use those also.

ya wanna get feisty, eh? {{{shuffling around with my dukes up}}}}
:boxing:

just kidding, ron. we've discussed this matter here a few times, with varying answers.

yes, you're quite correct on that. boids shouldn't be anywhere near a kitchen, period, and of course all cleaning products are dangers. but kitchens and dining areas are often sunny places in the house, and bathrooms steamy, so lots of people tend to keep their birds in or near those rooms.

btw, the dangerous chemical, ptfe, has been known to be released at temps around 500 to 550. i'm not sure which #'s are accurate, but a pan left on a burner will reach even higher than 600 if mistakenly left unattended for several minutes. same goes for a non-stick pan left in an oven set to self-cleaning cycle.

so, don't keep your canaries in the kitchen, nor let your ostriches play in the dumbwaiter. (you can never get them out, once they start!)

sorry, more old jokes. :)

I agree that a mixed bag will give you better results. For frying pans, Like AllenMi, I like cast iron. It'll give you great results for all of your frying and saute'ing needs. It is also bulletproof (very durable), and if the seasoning is messed up, it is easily repaired by re-seasoning. It goes from the stove-top to the oven with ease and is versatile enough to fry chicken, bake pizza, simmer a pot roast, and fry eggs. I even use mine occasionally to boil spaghetti in.

Stainless steel saucepans are a must. Get pans with features you will use, such as encapsulated disk bottoms to distribute heat evenly, tight fitting lids, maybe a double-boiler attachment. Get sizes that will allow you to make small batches for such things as cheese sauce or gravies. Get another pan to make family-sized one-pot meals, like soups, stews, etc. And get a stainless stock pot. Another great cooking vessel is the pressure cooker. They come in various levels of price, ranging from about $30 to better than $100. When you learn to use them properly, they greatly shorten cooking time.

This advice is my opinion, and should be taken as such. Your cooking needs and wants may be sustantially different than mine. But a few good cast iorn pans, maybe an eight-inch stainless pan, and some good pots will serve you well for most of you cooking needs. Of course, over time, as your cooking skills grow, you will want to add specialty pans, like a good roasting pan, that can maybe work for making lasagna as well.

Great cookwear doesn't have to cost $1200 per set. You can find great stuff at yard and estate sales. And remember, if you really had to, you can boil water in a paper cup. We did it in boy scouts, over a bed of glowing embers.

A guy who used to be on a previous site that I enjoyed used to close all of his replies with something to this effect, paraphased due to my imperfect memory; What goes into the pot is far more important than is the pot.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

buckytom said:
btw, the dangerous chemical, ptfe, has been known to be released at temps around 500 to 550. i'm not sure which #'s are accurate, but a pan left on a burner will reach even higher than 600 if mistakenly left unattended for several minutes. same goes for a non-stick pan left in an oven set to self-cleaning cycle.

The outgassing temperature for teflon is 574°.

Some cooking oils will reach thier smoke point under 400° and a wrong setting on the toaster will fill your kitchen with smoke which is leathal to some birds but people don't mention these facts when warning about the detrimental effects of teflon.

So the next time you set the smoke alarm off because you wanted put a nice sear on a steak or when stir frying make sure there are no birds close by.

If you're looking for a couple of items to try I suggest you get a few items that don't normally come in a set that you will want to have anyway like a pan that's good for starting on the cooktop and then finishing in the oven such as the cuisinart 12" everyday pan.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 12-Inch Everyday Pan with Medium Dome Cover: Kitchen & Housewares

or maybe an Anolon 11" 5 qt. sauteuse.

Amazon.com: Anolon 5 Quart 11-Inch Sauteuse with Glass Lid: Kitchen & Housewares

The 12" everyday pan can be used like any 12" fry pan but bercause of the handle design it's better for oven usage.

The 11" sautuese can take the place of a 12" saute pan and a 5 qt. dutch oven and maybe even a 10" saute pan.

I'm happy with my Emeril set of SS with glass lids. I bought the 10 piece set, including the lids, on sale for about $125-150 just over a year ago. They are sold at Dept. stores. The bottoms are tri-ply (they're made by same company that makes the popular tri-ply pots & pans - I can't remember the name of the company). They are reasonably heavy w/o being impossible to lift. The solid SS handles have an indentation for the thumb, which makes it comfortable to handle. I use all of the pieces, although some more than others. Included in the set were two pans that could be nested together to be used as a double boiler. I thought they were a good buy. I do have a 10" non-stick pan for eggs.

Good luck with your purchase! This thread has given you some great ideas.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I'm thinking Emerilware is made in China while AllClad is only made in the USA.

If you can get a 10 pc set of Emerilware SS for $125 that's a good deal but the normal $199 that it usually costs is too much.

You can get Cuisinart Chef's Classic SS for around $120 for the 10 pc set.

emerilware is part of allclad, but is made in china. It is disc botttom encapsulated ss. THere is also an enameled steel line now, a few cast iron pieces, and a stick free anodized aluminum line (all made in china).

A company like allclad probably supervises the quality control pretty well. THat is not the case with all asian imports.

Ron W. said:
I may be wrong but I'm thinking Emerilware is made in China while AllClad is only made in the USA.

If you can get a 10 pc set of Emerilware SS for $125 that's a good deal but the normal $199 that it usually costs is too much.

You can get Cuisinart Chef's Classic SS for around $120 for the 10 pc set.
I don't know where the Emerilware is made, never gave it a thought. I do like the glass lids. The Cuisinart Chef's Classic SS has the SS lids.

Emerilware does have the disc bottom while All-Clad is tri-ply all around, I think. I do think Emerilware is well made. I saw Wolfgang Puck's products. The handle is rolled, hollow. Difficult to hold. I'm not sure if I remember, but I don't think the lids were glass, which is a feature I like. The Emerilware can be purchased on sale from time to time. I also rec'd a gift after purchase. A really nice knife was sent to me, 7 in. blade made by Wusthof for Emeril. I was happy with my purchase.

Back
Top Bottom