"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pots and Pans

What kind of pans do you use? I saw that Cuisinart got some high ratings. I was just wondering, I am looking to buy some new ones, I am willing to spend around $200. And, I want a 10 piece.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I just saw you had a cookware section... sorry :D

Old 07-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

for 2 bills, you're not gonna get "great" in a 10 piece set, but you can still get a nice collection.

do you want a matching set for any reason? do you want all stainless steel, copper, stainless with non-stick, aluminum with non-stick, cast iron, etc.?

i'd recommend that you get a mix; some non-stick, some stainless.

as far as sets go, i've heard good things about the stainless steel sets sold in costco. i just bought and love a cheapie ($30) tramontina 5 qt. stainless sautee from there.

hey, where's caine and the le gourmet chef's cookware recommendation?

so, the more info you give, the more we can help.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Rather than discussing brands, we should discuss types.

The major players are tri-ply stainless, disk on the bottom stainless and anodized aluminum.

For my money, the first is the best. If you must have a set, try a place like Costco or Sam's Club. They have great buys on very good quality pots and pans.

Take a moment to read over older threads on this subject in this Cookware section. There is a great deal of useful info to help you make a decision.

Cuisinart makes several types of cookware so it's not possible to answer your question without more info.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Well, I don't want non-stick. Tri would be nice if they are affordable. It doesn't matter if it's a set or not. Please remember, I DON'T KNOW A LOT. So don't get too technical with me. I do know I don't like non stick though.

And, around $200, but I can prolly go up to $350, although I don't want to, I want to spend thrifty.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I buy my pots and pans individually. Those small fry pans and sauce pans are no use to me. If you know what will get the most use, buy some real good ones and add to them down the road.

A very nice person led me here a couple months ago Cookware & More : Selling All Clad Irregulars Since 1984

I only own one 10" non stick skillet for eggs.

I would reccomend glass lids though. These you can buy cheap at alot of housewares stores.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

The first thing you should do is figure out which pots and pans you want/need. Often times the sets come with so many things you will never actually use. It is often better to get two or three quality pieces that you know you will use then buy a cheaper set that will not perform as well and will come with a bunch of useless stuff.

Figure out what you will be cooking and for how many. That will help you decide what types of pots and pans you will need and what size.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

A quick note on the Cuisinart. I have a 14" fry pan and a 14" saute pan. They both have only a thick clad bottom. The main construction is single layer stamped stainless steel. They are a good pan and clean easily, but I prefer my All Clads. The All Clads don't tend to develop hot spots which is great for searing and pan sauces. However, I use the hot spots on my other pans while sauteing differnt veggies and such.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I agree that it's best to purchase pans individually if you have that option. Different type of cookware serve different functions and will perform differently. You may want to read the blog post at Find More Facts About Home & Food: Cookware - Why Choose Stainless Steel, Non-Stick, Anodized and More for some basic info on the cookware types.

I definitely prefer stainless for sauteeing and frying, but I do like non-stick for the pans I use for things like pancakes (my griddle) and eggs (a 10 inch frying pan). You may need to experiment a bit to find what suits your style best. That's one reason it is a good idea to buy pans individually if possible.

Good luck and happy cooking!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Awesome. I am swimming in all of this information Good STUFF!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Looks like I might go for the anodized Calphalon. I am going to check out the stores again this weekend.

I found good reviews on the Calphalon online too. Hms. And, I see what you mean, different pans for different jobs.