Pots, pans and all that jazz...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I have seen many recipes that require cooking on a stove and then transferring to the oven...cookware and all.

My pan set is a hand-me-down from my grandmother, RIP. There is no brand name on it other than JC Penney....but it's lasted many years. These are stainless with hard, black, plastic handles. I'm assuming these can not be transferred into the oven...but please correct me if I'm wrong. I have no idea the age on these but Grandma died in 1990 and I'm sure she had them for some time...

Some of my "newer" pans have metal handles but are coated with a non-stick surface. Are these ones I could transfer?

Most non-stick cookware is "oven-rated" up to 400 degrees F. So basically through manufacturer's recommendation, you can usually cook with most non-stick pans in the oven up to that point. But, if you're still not sure of if you've misplaced the information pamphlet that came with the pans, call the manufacturer and double check.

The pan handle is probably made with Bakelite, a thermosetting plastic that survives heat well. Until recently, most pan handles, except on cast iron or enamled cookware, were made of this material.

I have a stainless steel pan with a black bakelite handle that was inadvertantly left in my oven through a self-cleaning cycle. My oven fires up to 550' F. during a self-clean. The metal is badly discolered, but works just as well as it did before the incident. The handle wasn't damaged at all.

I would guess that your pan is probably safe in the oven. Just remember that the handle, even though it is made of plastic, will still require the use of a potholder when you remove the pan from the oven. It will be hot.

And also remember, that as I can't actually see or touch the pan, my post is merely a guess.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I would have to decide the value because of G'Ma; then I would either hang it up as a keep-sake or use it. I agree that Bakelite can withstand a lot of heat but as an electrical type I can attest that it slowly becomes brittle [er] as heated to extremes.

So, depending on your wants re G'Ma's pans; watch the handles and don't let yourself get under the load of hot food or put them away to later tell your kids about them.

edit: clumsy language

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom