Pottery or stainless steel pot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryf

Assistant Cook
If I happened to be occupied with something else and forgot about the cooking, which of the 2 pots would sustain more damage and be safe to use again?

Which of the 2 can tolerate heat better should it be over burned? I think the stainless steel would start releasing toxins from the chemical reaction or leech toxins into food if it gets bad enough. Where as the pottery would not, provided that it is not coated in glaze or something like that. But I am not positive.

You are talking apples and oranges here. You can't cook on top of the stove with pottery - only bake in it. You can't interchange them so the question is sort of moot IMHO.

Someone will come along with a MUCH better explanation - I'm at work and have to run.

If I happened to be occupied with something else and forgot about the cooking, which of the 2 pots would sustain more damage and be safe to use again?

Which of the 2 can tolerate heat better should it be over burned? I think the stainless steel would start releasing toxins from the chemical reaction or leech toxins into food if it gets bad enough. Where as the pottery would not, provided that it is not coated in glaze or something like that. But I am not positive.

I am not sure what you mean by "pottery," but I don't think cooking equipment in your home could get hot enough to start a chemical reaction in stainless steel.

Unless you have a home-smelter or something.

Pottery cooking vessels can't be used on the stovetop - they'll crack/shatter.

As far as "releasing toxins" from overheating, you're thinking of non-stick cooking pieces, which, when overheated dry release toxic fumes into the air that are not just unhealthy for people, but will literally have any pet birds in the house drop dead within minutes.

All the stainless steel cooking pieces I have have aluminum-clad bottoms, & the worst I've done when accidentally cooking them dry was to have the aluminum bottom melt onto the electric coils of my stove top. When things cooled down, however, the aluminum peeled right off.

My suggestion? Invest in a couple of cheap kitchen timers & set both of them several minutes apart while cooking. Keep one in the kitchen, & one by your side while you're doing whatever might get you sidelined.

I am not sure what you mean by "pottery,"
Earthware, ceramic, clay, that kind of stuff.

Pottery cooking vessels can't be used on the stovetop - they'll crack/shatter.
Really? I been using one for a year now. It has not shattered or cracked. And I saw many times in TV programs about how other cultures use it in the open fire.

There are even some for sale at the department stores that says I can cook rice, congee, and soup with. And I do not think any of those are suppose to be baked.

The reason I am thinking of getting a new one is because there is this annoying black liquid that seeps out of the tiny hole on the cover handle. I think they stuffed (news)paper into the cover handle when creating an open pocket before kilning. It has been a year and it is still seeping.

All the stainless steel cooking pieces I have have aluminum-clad bottoms, & the worst I've done when accidentally cooking them dry was to have the aluminum bottom melt onto the electric coils of my stove top. When things cooled down, however, the aluminum peeled right off.
Yes, I seen that happened before. The bottom was a bit warped and there were these colorful wave things on the metal. That was what I was worried about.

My suggestion? Invest in a couple of cheap kitchen timers & set both of them several minutes apart while cooking.
I got one and I hear it fine. But a few times, when blanching or steaming, I forgot to add the water. Or the water has all evaporated while I was distracted for a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom