"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20
Pottery or stainless steel pot?

If I happened to be occupied with something else and forgot about the cooking, which of the 2 pots would sustain more damage and be safe to use again?

Which of the 2 can tolerate heat better should it be over burned? I think the stainless steel would start releasing toxins from the chemical reaction or leech toxins into food if it gets bad enough. Where as the pottery would not, provided that it is not coated in glaze or something like that. But I am not positive.

__________________

__________________
harryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kitchenelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You are talking apples and oranges here. You can't cook on top of the stove with pottery - only bake in it. You can't interchange them so the question is sort of moot IMHO.

Someone will come along with a MUCH better explanation - I'm at work and have to run.
__________________

__________________
kitchenelf

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryf View Post
If I happened to be occupied with something else and forgot about the cooking, which of the 2 pots would sustain more damage and be safe to use again?

Which of the 2 can tolerate heat better should it be over burned? I think the stainless steel would start releasing toxins from the chemical reaction or leech toxins into food if it gets bad enough. Where as the pottery would not, provided that it is not coated in glaze or something like that. But I am not positive.

I am not sure what you mean by "pottery," but I don't think cooking equipment in your home could get hot enough to start a chemical reaction in stainless steel.

Unless you have a home-smelter or something.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,806
Pottery cooking vessels can't be used on the stovetop - they'll crack/shatter.

As far as "releasing toxins" from overheating, you're thinking of non-stick cooking pieces, which, when overheated dry release toxic fumes into the air that are not just unhealthy for people, but will literally have any pet birds in the house drop dead within minutes.

All the stainless steel cooking pieces I have have aluminum-clad bottoms, & the worst I've done when accidentally cooking them dry was to have the aluminum bottom melt onto the electric coils of my stove top. When things cooled down, however, the aluminum peeled right off.

My suggestion? Invest in a couple of cheap kitchen timers & set both of them several minutes apart while cooking. Keep one in the kitchen, & one by your side while you're doing whatever might get you sidelined.
__________________
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 20
Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by "pottery,"
Earthware, ceramic, clay, that kind of stuff.

Quote:
Pottery cooking vessels can't be used on the stovetop - they'll crack/shatter.
Really? I been using one for a year now. It has not shattered or cracked. And I saw many times in TV programs about how other cultures use it in the open fire.

There are even some for sale at the department stores that says I can cook rice, congee, and soup with. And I do not think any of those are suppose to be baked.

The reason I am thinking of getting a new one is because there is this annoying black liquid that seeps out of the tiny hole on the cover handle. I think they stuffed (news)paper into the cover handle when creating an open pocket before kilning. It has been a year and it is still seeping.

Quote:
All the stainless steel cooking pieces I have have aluminum-clad bottoms, & the worst I've done when accidentally cooking them dry was to have the aluminum bottom melt onto the electric coils of my stove top. When things cooled down, however, the aluminum peeled right off.
Yes, I seen that happened before. The bottom was a bit warped and there were these colorful wave things on the metal. That was what I was worried about.

Quote:
My suggestion? Invest in a couple of cheap kitchen timers & set both of them several minutes apart while cooking.
I got one and I hear it fine. But a few times, when blanching or steaming, I forgot to add the water. Or the water has all evaporated while I was distracted for a few minutes.
__________________
harryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.