Pre heating CI Griddle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
My new griddle is too large to preheat in my oven.
Can I get away without ruining it, place it on the stove top burners. Keeping the flame low? The burners are the same size. Or use the oven with the door ajar?

Thank you.

Munky.

My new griddle is too large to preheat in my oven.
Can I get away without ruining it, place it on the stove top burners. Keeping the flame low? The burners are the same size. Or use the oven with the door ajar?

Thank you.

Munky.

Isn't the griddle intended to be used on the stovetop? If so, heat it on a burner over lower heat then adjust it to a higher heat for cooking.

That's what it says. But doing some research on the best way to cook with them. I've read in several recipes that's it's best to preheat the grill in the oven before you use it on the stove top. It's to ensure that what's placed on the grill won't warp it. Something like to that effect..

Munky.

If it is cast iron then it will not warp. Go ahead and heat it on the burners. It will work perfectly.

Have at it! I put my CI griddle directly on my stovetop burners on high and also put it directly on the flamer tamers of my grill on high for searing steaks and tuna. If I recall correctly, my IR thermometer has read well over 700* on the grill.

I use my CI stovetop grill/griddle pan ALL the time. I never heat it in the oven!! Just put it over 2 burners and heat.

I used to avoid CI because I was always afraid of it. Heard all the stories about how careful one is to be taking care of the pan. I didn't want to spend my time babying a piece of cookware. I have since learned that CI is a workhorse and can stand a lot of things. Go ahead with the stove top. Should be fine.

Love, Love my CI griddle. It took me a few times to get my sunny side up eggs right, but I got it now. I've never pre heated it and it seems okay.

I just preheat mine on top of the burners while I'm preping what ever I am planning on cooking. I'm using my grandmother's griddle from the 40's and I don't think she ever preheat it either (althought I wasn't around ALL those years) :LOL:

It worked out beautifully. That's a very nice griddle. Glad I picked the reversible one. It's coming in handy around here. Made some crispy crust pizza last night. Olive oil base and a lot of left overs from the fridge. They had the most perfect grill marks. I never got those marks from my out door grill.

It was nice playing with my new stuff all week and I didn't have to stand outside in that cold windy air to grill anything.
Have to fast tonight or I'd stop by the butcher's and pick up steaks. Maybe tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom