Preferred wood used for wooden cooking utensils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If softwood (eg pine) it needs to be very qood quality (I've had too many splinters from sub-standard wooden utensils in the past).

I can't speak for bamboo as I haven't used it.

My chopping board is a finished slab of hardwood which I've used for 40 years and it doesn't show a mark despite serious knife work.

not sure if there is one and only one 'preferred' wood - a close grain (ie does not soak up liquid) short fiber (i.e. not splinter prone) works.

I have a whole raft from cpbasils.com - it's black cherry. some are more than 15 years old and still in good condition.

for the cpbasil stuff, it's not so much the wood but his designs - the angles and sizes and bowls / curves / etc are seriously "correct" for their intended tasks making them easy, and enjoyable, to use.

not cheap, but top quality stuff that lasts forever. except if you have a Husky, a sausage flavored spatula has a very short half life when the puppy can reach it . . .

Attachments

• DSC_5256s.jpg
    DSC_5256s.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
If softwood (eg pine) it needs to be very qood quality (I've had too many splinters from sub-standard wooden utensils in the past).

My chopping board is a finished slab of hardwood which I've used for 40 years and it doesn't show a mark despite serious knife work.

Most of mine are of the 10 for 10 variety. I think basswood. Pine generally is subject to splintering. Not so basswood.

Mine are not works of art. But they last. If they break or split they are tossed. Another buck gone. If I paid retail.

Hey Kayelle, at least Addie knows she stinks at math and owns it! :LOL:

...I have a whole raft from cpbasils.com - it's black cherry. some are more than 15 years old and still in good condition...
Those are beautiful! And only a third of the price for similar wooden utensils that I saw at a juried craft fair up here. I don't care how lovely that spoon is, I'm not spending $40-plus for one!

Hmm, Kutztown isn't quite on our way on the way to Cleveland, but it IS on our route to FL in November. I see us making a stop along the way. :)

they darken with age + mineral oil & beeswax. on the left is from this July Kutztown Folk Fest; the others of ? age - but obviously older.

Attachments

• DSC_5277s.jpg
    DSC_5277s.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 149

If it matters to you, Aston Martin offer bamboo as an interior wood in their cars -- and t is very pretty. Also very durable and Earth friendly. It grows like weeds, so it can be harvested as fast as it grows.

Here is a DB9 Volante with bamboo as the wood.

CD

Attachments

• VolanteBamboo.jpg
    VolanteBamboo.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 153
Image1500864262.398330.jpg
I have few Russian spoons. I like them a lot and have been wanting to carve one. Even have a chunk of wood seating in the garage for about 5 years now. This conversation kind of renewed my interest. Not sure when though. I've been working on a chair for last 3 years. Well I worked on it for few month and now it's been seating for 3 years.

Haaa, your math skills are showing again Addie. Last I heard you are 78, not 88.

I have never claimed to be a math genius. But there are days I certainly feel like 88.

Thank you CG. If you want to feel younger, just tell me your year of birth and I can tell you your age. Naw, forget that idea. That would be a brain strain. I do my best to try and avoid math. I let my kids do it for me. We have an agreement. They do all my math when available and I do all their spelling. It what keeps us all needing each other.

Last edited:
My grandparents had a dishwasher but they never used it. They would put scalding hot water in both sides of the sink (soap in one side) and that's how you did dishes, you did not waste. They were so cute together. On holidays we would ask to use the dishwasher and it was granted not very often but hey... they had dishwashers... me and my aunts and cousins!

That what I told my kids. Your have two dishwashers right here. At the end of your two arms. Get busy and use them.

I think it is great when you can carry on one more tradition where you inherit your mothers kitchen tools. It adds to family memories. I have my grandmother's large silver spoon from the set she received as a wedding present. It is a serving spoon. The kind you would use for serving mashed potatoes. The engraved A is almost worn down to nothing.

I have a wooden spoon that I paid the grand sum of fifty cents for at a yard sale. It had a long handle, reaches the bottom of my deep pots and has a lovely plastic handle at the top. I have had it for about 20 years or so. And in the Blue Willow ceramic utensil container that all my wooden kitchen tools sit in are your standard $1.00 for four at the dollar store. When they get too stained or worn, I just toss them and go to the dollar store for another set. So far I have spend about $2.00 on them. Hardly anything that my kids will want. Except for that one spoon. It is the one I always reach for first. And Pirate has his eye on it. Along with the container.

The last thing I worry about scratching is cast iron grill grates. They're all but indestructible. I use a metal brush to clean it, after burning the gunk to pure carbon.

My grill has heavy weight stainless grates, but I do the same. I post-heat it after cooking and metal brush it, preheat it before cooking, brush it, then oil and cook.

Back
Top Bottom