Preferred wood used for wooden cooking utensils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ive seen many different varieties in the stores.
Some basic, some more fancy and decorative ( and more expensive)

I was just wondering if there is a preferred wood to be used to make wooden cooking utensils ( spoons, spatulas....).

Second question would be, has anyone ever made them themselves? If so, what wood did you use?

My favorite, after breaking most everything else many times over, is bamboo. They are inexpensive and very strong. I wash them in my sink in soapy water and they dry like new. I've had them 3 years and they don't even look used.
Amazon has a set of 7 for $6.99
61fIgJdxOEL._SL1400_.jpg

I got a set of bamboo utensils with an electric wok as a wedding gift in 1984. I no longer have the wok but I still use the utensils. I also have a couple olive wood utensils that I only use for salad tongs.

I switched from the traditional wood spoons/spatulas to bamboo. I found a 5 or 6 pack of bamboo utensils for $6 or $7 and never looked back.

I have some bamboo utensils and they are fine, but the one I always reach for is a beautiful olive wood spatula I cook with nearly every day. It's without a doubt my favorite and was a little expensive but worth every penny because I enjoy the look and feel of it so much. I've had it for 10 yrs now.

Last edited:
Definitely bamboo, inexpensive and durable, easy to find too. The one exception is my salad set, those are Hickory because the set was custom made from a tree I had to take down.

I agree with all the bamboo lovers. I ditched all my non-bamboo spoons years ago. They hold up so much better. I've never had to replace a bamboo spoon.

I have some bamboo utensils and they are fine, but the one I always reach for is a beautiful olive wood spatula I cook with nearly every day. It's without a doubt my favorite and was a little expensive but worth every penny because I enjoy the look and feel of it so much. I've had it for 10 yrs now.

Can you put the olive wood in the dishwasher?

I use cured Olive Wood spatulas which Excel in sauce making. Here it is more common to use cured olive Wood as we are producers and also earthenware cooking vessels ..

I have a large set of Bamboo spatulas as well which were a gift, and they are still in the box ..

Last edited:
Cubsgal:

1) We do not have a dishwasher .. We are just the two of us and we both travel alot for our work, so it is un-necessary or we would have purchased one ..

2) Care of Olive Wood Utensils: No, it states clearly: Do not submerge in wáter. Wash by hand with delicate dish washing liquid and then let dry & rub a bit of Evoo onto the spatula .. The dish washing detergent & wáter are detrimental to Wood ..

Last edited:
I use cured Olive Wood spatulas which Excel in sauce making. Here it is more common to use cured olive Wood as we are producers and also earthenware cooking vessels ..

I have a large set of Bamboo spatulas as well which were a gift, and they are still in the box ..

How does using olive wood "excel in sauce making"? :ermm:
I admit my olive wood spatula helps to make me a happy cook with it's beauty, but not a better cook because of it. Jes sayin'..;)

How does using olive wood "excel in sauce making"? :ermm:
I admit my olive wood spatula helps to make me a happy cook with it's beauty, but not a better cook because of it. Jes sayin'..;)

Oh come now, Kayelle. You should know by now that everything is better where Sagi lives. The sky is bluer, birds sing louder, and the cooking utensils are far superior to anything we have in the US. :LOL:

At the risk of being labeled a Philistine, I was ease of maintenance as a prime factor in wood utensils. I'm in no mood to hand wash and oil a wood spoon. Bamboo goes into the DW and comes out unchanged. Easy Peasy.

Ive basically had the 'no frills' kind over the years. They have been abused over the years, worn over time, a few had some mishaps with the dishwasher ( falling through and getting chipped). All that being said, there are 2 or 3 that have undergone these unfortunate modifications, but I have learned to like their new shapes. In fact, when i moved off of my parents house, my mom was going to throw out a wooden spoon that had fractured in 1/2. I kept it, and today, it is on of my favorite.

Sadly time has taken its toll on a few of my favorites. the problem I have is when I get a few new ones, they will not have the altered shapes that I've come accustom to.

My wooden utensils are oh, at least 20, if not 30 years old. My fave is the squared off paddle shaped one with holes drilled in it. They all go in the DW.

Back
Top Bottom