"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

If you are boiling it then there should be no need to scrub it. Just a wipe out to dry with a paper towel should suffice. I can't ever remember scrubbing my CI pans.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you are boiling it then there should be no need to scrub it. Just a wipe out to dry with a paper towel should suffice. I can't ever remember scrubbing my CI pans.
Maybe that's why my newly seasoned skillet loses non-stick.
I cook gringo taco beef in my skillet eventually, I tend to want to at least run the brush around after it's come to boil. Maybe I should let that taco mix residue remain and not clean it so thoroughly? hehe. Seriously you may be right. My cooking something else afterwards won't taste mexican tho?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is no need to boil it, that action is keeping any coating you have built up to become soft and then you scrub it away. Hot running water with a soft scrubber (Blue 3M or nylon bristles) should be all it needs. Then put it on the stove to dry it quickly, coat with thin film of crisco and let it cool down.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
Head Chef

I think you are over thinking it.

I wash mine (also a preseasoned Lodge) with Dawn and a scrubbie every time, dry it, smear the surface with crisco, pop it into a 350 oven for about 15 minutes, turn off the oven and let it cool in there.

That's it and it's beautifully nonstick.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

First of all, get it out of your head that soap is harmful to the finish. It's not.

Try this. After cooking a meal, rinse out the pan with hot water. If there are any food particles stuck to the pan, use the scrub brush and soap if necessary. (I use one of those blue sponges with the plastic scrubber on one side). Then put the pan on the stove top on high to evaporate all water. When it starts to smoke, put in a tiny amount of oil and wipe it all over the interior of the pan with a wad of paper towel. Just enough oil to make the interior shiny/wet looking. Leave it on the burner on high so it smokes for a few minutes then turn off the burner and wipe out the pan with dry paper towel. Let it cool before storing.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Head Chef

IMO, the first thin coating of seasoning (carbon buildup) CAN be removed if soap is used. After a considerable layer of carbon build up is achieved, then soap won't affect the finish.

That's where I was when cooking bacon only and cleaning and my new pan and it lost it's thin non stick carbon build up properties.

So, ya, I think you have to be mindful of your cleaning methods when building up the initial carbon layer on a new cast iron pan that is lightly preseasoned. Soap in small quantities with brushing action and hot water CAN damage the newly created carbon layer (until it's built up more).

Anyways, that's how I'm approaching getting this skillet to get a built up layer of carbon.

P.S. I'm glad I used a scant amount of crisco. I used to over do it and wondered why it came out splotchy after baking.

Also, I know I'm good to go after just one seasoning, if I take care during cleaning. I'm gonna repeat the process 2 more times anyways.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
Head Chef

If I have something stubborn stuck on my CI skillet, I just pour some kosher salt into the pan and scrub with a wet dish cloth. The salt acts as an abrasive and is totally harmless to the finish. My CI still isn't completely non-stick (I still have egg issues with it) but it's getting close!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I tossed out one Lodge 8" preseasoned skillet because I was tired of spending electricity money trying to season it well in the oven after it lost it's non stick properties. So i bought me another one. Not a big deal as a new one only costs about $12 at Walmart.

So I buy another one thinking I'll have better luck. On my previous one, I used a scrubber that holds dishwashing liquid in it. Even tho I didn't press the button to dispence soap, the non stick qualities went away. Maybe with the hot water and a tiny bit of residual soap, it caused the seasoning to go away, I dunno.

So I buy another one and have cooked nothing but bacon in it. Hot water and a scrub brush to clean it. The non stick coating is gone again.

The factory seasoning on Lodge skillets seem to me to be very thin, despite how the surface looks stippled as if the seasoning is thick, it isnt.

To my surprise, I found that others season pre-seasoned lodge skillets before using them. Now I know why.
The stippling is due to the rough poorly finished surface. It can be rough enough to abrade paper towels used for wiping out pans or applying / spreading oil.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Senior Cook

My only guess is you are over-cleaning it. Too much scrubbing maybe?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Head Chef

The best thing to use is, burlap. You can buy it at a fabric store or sometimes a potato sack.
I boil water in the pan, And scrap it clean with a stiff nylon brush. Then use the burlap to scrub it clean.
I then rub a thin coat of oil all over. Ready for the next use.
When I buy a new piece of cast iron, weather pre seasoned or not, I boil it, scrub it clean with hot soapy water and go on with a fresh seasoning. Using flack seed oil and repeating 4 or 5 times. Thats how you get it to last for years. You have to have that layer of oil in the pan and not scrub it away. If you do, its time to re season again. The more layers, the less non stick.
Acidic food will take the finish off the pan, so try not to cook an acid type food. I have certain peices of cast that I use only for tomatoes and such. But then they are re seasoned when needed.

Tags
easy