"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Head Chef

Preseasoned Lodge skillet wears off easy

I tossed out one Lodge 8" preseasoned skillet because I was tired of spending electricity money trying to season it well in the oven after it lost it's non stick properties. So i bought me another one. Not a big deal as a new one only costs about $12 at Walmart.

So I buy another one thinking I'll have better luck. On my previous one, I used a scrubber that holds dishwashing liquid in it. Even tho I didn't press the button to dispence soap, the non stick qualities went away. Maybe with the hot water and a tiny bit of residual soap, it caused the seasoning to go away, I dunno.

So I buy another one and have cooked nothing but bacon in it. Hot water and a scrub brush to clean it. The non stick coating is gone again.

The factory seasoning on Lodge skillets seem to me to be very thin, despite how the surface looks stippled as if the seasoning is thick, it isnt.

To my surprise, I found that others season pre-seasoned lodge skillets before using them. Now I know why.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I have two Lodge Logic pans. I washed them and started cooking in them. At first, I just cooked bacon and other foods that called for oil (fat) in the pan. The seasoning has built up and is better than ever.

I don't know why you are having this problem.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Head Chef

It must have to do with how I clean them after use. Except, I just use hot water or sometimes boil water, then use no soap regular dish scrubber.

I'm spending money in oven electricity cost seasoning them which almost starts to approach the $12 cost for a new one. I'll try cleaning this one and reseason it more than once to assure a good coating.

Seasoning at 400F or whatever for hours multiple times has me concerned about electricity cost.

I really want to get it to where I can see water run off the skillet after final rinse. Right now the water just stays on the pan and my bacon is sticking bad while being cooked.

Maybe I'll try the stove top seasoning method where you let it get smoking. Maybe do that 3 or 4 times.

And make sure not one molecule of dishwashing liquid is there upon cleaning. It didn't foam up using my dish scrubber with soap in the handle, so I thought I was ok using that. Maybe a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid is the cause.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Master Chef

Using your oven for an hour or two costs $12 ?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Using your oven for an hour or two costs $12 ?
No, but a 400F oven going for hours multiple times doesn't exactly cost just pennies.

I just cleaned it using Lemi-shine and a 3M green scour pad. The oven is heating. One thing I've learned is to not put very much oil or crisco on the pan at all before putting it in the oven. A super thin almost non-existent coating is how I'm doing it now. I'll repeat this a few times and let you know. I'll get a dish scrubber without soap in the handle too, even tho I didn't press the button on the scrubber to dispense soap, some probably got in the cleaning water.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Master Chef

At any rate...

Lodge preseasoned cast iron skillets are not intended to be "nonstick"

It takes a great while of use and seasoning to get a cast iron skillet to literally be nonstick like a Teflon pan.

Follow Andy's advice about cooking bacon and sausages in it.

You can also season a cast iron skillet outside on your grill. That might be cheaper.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

If you have a continuing issue with cast iron cookware maybe you should switch to another type of cookware.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you have a continuing issue with cast iron cookware maybe you should switch to another type of cookware.
Lol, I know, haha. I'll give it one more shot.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

What material is the scrubber made of that you have that dispenses soap? Is it a bristle brush or some kind of scouring material?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Head Chef

Simple nylon bristle brush with soap in the handle. I'm not using that anymore for cleaning my skillet. I bet with the hot water and all, some soap got dispensed, even tho I saw no signs of that while scrubbing it.

I've had the skillet in the oven at 400F at just about 2 hours now. A very thin coating of crisco. I'll let it cool on its own and repeat this 2 more times, using very little crisco each time, then, clean it more carefully. I'm ok with cooking just bacon or sausages for the first 10 times. Actually what I do is pour some water in the skillet, heat it to boil and then use a bristle brush. I bet some soap got in there, removing the thin carbon buildup.

Tags
easy