"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
Cook

Pressure Cooker

Hi,

I'm wanting to get a pressure cooker and was wondering if anyone had any tips on what I should look out for in a pressure cooker?

Does anyone use one and love it? I'm mainly getting it for meat particularly an meat and rice dish my mum makes (she cooks the meat in the pressure cooker she has) that my husband loves. Her pressure cooker is really old though so she has no idea about the new ones.

Also what is a good size to have for a family? I want something that I can make small and big amounts of food in (as sometimes we make a lot for parties etc) and that will last me a long time.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I have an 6 qt pressure cooker. Size seems to work for the three of us fine. Being only four years I guess it is newer. It has two pressure settings on the lid valve for high and low pressure. I think that is a new feature. I know they make ones that are electric and you can do more settings with them. Oh yes I got a stainless steel one not aluminum.
I like it when it has to get to the table fast and I love it for risotto.
Have two cookbooks and have used both for ideas The Pressured Cook and Cooking Under Pressure both by Lorna Sass

Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turando
Also what is a good size to have for a family? I want something that I can make small and big amounts of food in (as sometimes we make a lot for parties etc) and that will last me a long time.
Thanks!
You might want to look into Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers. We have one we love. Actually, we have two because the one(s) we purchased consisted of a large (about 5-quart) one and a smaller almost fry pan-sized one as a set. The larger pot is great for cooking bigger portions and the smaller one is great for cooking for 2 or 3 people. It's a great tool. It might seem expensive, but it will last for years and years. Love it.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have a 7-quart and love this size. It holds the larger chunks of meat and a few veggies just fine. Also, a larger, tougher bird fits nicely too.

You will not be disappointed!

I have a WMF right now. I miss my old one terribly (I do believe it was a Mirro). It had a rocker valve that I truly miss with 5#, 10#, and 15# "holes". The sound alone can make a day better.

My advice is to: Whatever you get read your instruction manual. Know what the safety features are and then don't "taunt" them before they are ready to release. Know what a slow release is and a quick release. I always use my quick release method (all that means is taking the entire unit and sitting in your sink and running cold water over it until the pressure is fully released).

We have lots of recipes to share and there are lots of good cookbooks out there. The Internet is FULL of recipes.

How big is your family? That will help also in determining the correct size you need.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 AM   #5
Cook

Hi,

I'm happy to pay more for quality. I saw a few mention of the Kuhn Rikon ones being good so I am going to see if they are available here.

kitchenelf: my family is just me and my DH at the moment. And our baby who is on the way :) But we do cook a lot in one go and eat large portions (right now I can eat for 20!). I want to be able to use it for when we have people over to make things easier which is why I'm after a larger size and to make things like stews and soups etc so I can freeze them too. Plus I want to get one that will last me a while when we have more kids and more mouths to feed every day! :)

6-7 quarts sounds good to me. I think that is a similar size to my mums. Is there a minimum amount of food that needs to be in a pressure cooker when you cook it?

I'm looking forward to using it as I know I'm going to be really busy with the baby (due in 3 months) and anything that saves me time is great :)

Thankyou for all your help!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Funny you should mention pressure cookers. I just got a Fagor yesterday and can't wait to start playing with it.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I think the 6-7 quart size is a good one. You will also love it for things other than stews--at least I do. I cooked a whole cauliflower in 2 minutes to make a cauliflower salad. Artichokes in 10 minutes. Bean soups!!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I heard risotto is great in pressure cookers as well.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
Head Chef

I gave my mom a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker some years ago. Somehow that particular unit's seal was not that good. We took it to service but they said there was nothing wrong with it. My mom continued to use it although sometimes the seal was not good if the lid was not replaced properly. This means it's not fool-proof?

I myself got a WMF pressure cooker last year which came with one great feature: it came with two sizes of pots that shared one lid. I so love the convenience of being able to make a small batch or a big batch. Also this model has so many safety features. Even the pressure release vent is ergonomically designed such that escaping steam is directed away from the cook.

So, based on my experience, I'd definitely put my money on WMF (German) instead of Kuhn Rikon (Swiss).
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace
I heard risotto is great in pressure cookers as well.
The pc is amazing with risotto! Perfectly al dente risotto in minimum time and even less effort. Just make sure you use risotto recipes specifically for pressure cooking. Good luck and enjoy!