Pressure cooker care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I just acquired a Presto pressure cooker model 604 from my MIL when she moved into an apartment. I ordered the manual and a new gasket from an online source. I've not done any pressure cooking before (my mom did but she never really taught me). Can I put the thing in the dishwasher? Will that mess with the steam valves? I'm not going to try anything with it until I get the new gasket since the one I have now is cracking. I don't mind hand washing some dishes (I use CI and stoneware) but thought I would ask.

I've never put a pressure cooker in the dishwasher and would hesitate to do so. Thorough handwashing has always been sufficient for me. I would suggest that you check the vent hole(s) to be sure they are clear. You can use a small wire to thread through the hole to clear it if necessary. Another thing you can do to keep the gasket healthier is to store the pressure cooker with the gasket stretched around the outside of the bottom pan. This will keep the gasket from shrinking, although most of the newer ones are less likely to shrink because of the material of which they are made.

Other than the suggestions I've made, I don't think there are any other precautions you need to take. Just enjoy your pressure cooker. It is a wonderful kitchen tool.

Thanks Katie! I just got the email saying my shipment has been sent so hopefully by this time next week I'll have tried it out.

Great tips you got here. But like jennyema, I've used the dishwasher to wash the pressure cooker, too. Almost five years, in fact. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom