"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I am afraid of pressure cookers - had one explode when I was a kid - my dad used to make souse from pigs feet in the pressure cooker. One time he didn't have the lid on right and the thing exploded, sounded like a bomb dropped on the house, showering the kitchen with jellied pigs feets goo. I had to help clean it off the walls, floor, stove, ceiling - yuck. A few years later we sold the old stove and when it was pulled out from the wall, what did we find - you guessed it - more pigs feet goo. Sorry, just had to share. I'm too traumatized to own a pressure cooker - but have fun with yours.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
I am afraid of pressure cookers - had one explode when I was a kid - my dad used to make souse from pigs feet in the pressure cooker. One time he didn't have the lid on right and the thing exploded, sounded like a bomb dropped on the house, showering the kitchen with jellied pigs feets goo. I had to help clean it off the walls, floor, stove, ceiling - yuck. A few years later we sold the old stove and when it was pulled out from the wall, what did we find - you guessed it - more pigs feet goo. Sorry, just had to share. I'm too traumatized to own a pressure cooker - but have fun with yours.

I had one explode on me, from my own carelessness when I was a kid. Potatoes and cabbage on the ceiling and I avoided the full force. It was the stuff dripping off the ceiling that got me. Learned my lesson and I still love using them, I'm just very careful.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post

Oh this story again? Sheesh....

Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Fagor, with it I will be ridding myself of three pots. The steamer insert is almost a clincher. Besides the two older pressure cookers, I would be able to get rid of another pot with a steamer insert and lid.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm in the market for a new pressure cooker. I've narrowed it down to these:

Amazon.com: Fagor Duo Combi 5-Piece Pressure Cooker Set: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon 6-Piece Duromatic Duo Pressure Cooker Set: Kitchen & Dining

Both are in my price range, both have two pans, one smaller one larger and they are both Stainless Steel.

Opinions please.
Hi Princess, I have a fagor and a Kunn Rikon. I like them both but my favorite is the Fagor. You will enjoy having both sizes. I also have a low pressure fryer and I don't use it , I have used it before but I am not comfortable using it. I bought my Fagor set at a thrift shop never been used for $8.00 My Kuhn Rikon is a 6 quart. that my mother in law bought me as a gift.

Josie
Old 03-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Hi Princess, I have a fagor and a Kunn Rikon. I like them both but my favorite is the Fagor. You will enjoy having both sizes. I also have a low pressure fryer and I don't use it , I have used it before but I am not comfortable using it. I bought my Fagor set at a thrift shop never been used for $8.00 My Kuhn Rikon is a 6 quart. that my mother in law bought me as a gift.

Josie
Thank you, Josie! What size is your Fagor?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
Head Chef

I own a Fagor and for my money it is worth it's weight in gold. I use it 2 or 3 times a week. And for those who don't know modern generation pressure cookers have many safety features that the old ones didn't. But as stated before a pressure cooker is not a pressure fryer. I owned one of those in the late 70's and it was a disappointment. No matter how it was used the chicken always came out too dark, really unsatisfying.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #18
Head Chef

Princess the fagor set is a three quart and a six quart, I use both weekly.

Josie
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 AM   #19
Head Chef

While both are great cookers, the food scientists/instructors at the French Culinary Institute found the Kuhn Rikon was vastly superior to the Fagor at making stock. The Cliff Notes version is the KR has a superior seal system that prevents aromatics from venting from the cooker. They're not cheap, but I plan on eventually replacing my pressure cooker with a KR.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I've had the Fagor set for about 2 years and use it frequently. I'm completely satisfied with it although I almost never use the smaller pot.

Incidentally, you cannot pressure fry in either of them, even though Kuhn Ricon refers to their smaller pot as a "pressure fry pan". True pressure frying requires specialized equipment with additional safety features and frys at lower pressure than most pressure cookers. Here's a link to Kuhn Ricon's FAQ about this: Kuhn Rikon Switzerland - Duromatic FAQ: Deep Frying

"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote