"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Okay--where can you get the Fagor in a remote area?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Princess the fagor set is a three quart and a six quart, I use both weekly.

Josie
Thank you, Josie! With just the two of us and I don't plan on using it for canning, I think the sizes are perfect for me.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Okay--where can you get the Fagor in a remote area?
I'm getting mine from Amazon. I can't buy either brand off the shelf around here!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
While both are great cookers, the food scientists/instructors at the French Culinary Institute found the Kuhn Rikon was vastly superior to the Fagor at making stock. The Cliff Notes version is the KR has a superior seal system that prevents aromatics from venting from the cooker. They're not cheap, but I plan on eventually replacing my pressure cooker with a KR.
Thanks, Rob! I appreciate your response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
I've had the Fagor set for about 2 years and use it frequently. I'm completely satisfied with it although I almost never use the smaller pot.

Incidentally, you cannot pressure fry in either of them, even though Kuhn Ricon refers to their smaller pot as a "pressure fry pan". True pressure frying requires specialized equipment with additional safety features and frys at lower pressure than most pressure cookers. Here's a link to Kuhn Ricon's FAQ about this: Kuhn Rikon Switzerland - Duromatic FAQ: Deep Frying
I don't plan on deep frying or pressure frying, no problem.

Why don't you use the smaller pot? I like the idea of being able to use something smaller that still has the convenience and speed of pressure cooking. Thanks for your response.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #25
Sous Chef

We have the 8 quart KR pressure cooker that is dutch-oven shaped and a 5 quart KR pressure frypan/braiser. Just to clear up any confusion, KR calls it a frypan solely because of its shape. It is most definitely not for frying at all. We purchased it after reading a rousing recommendation from Madhur Jaffrey, whose Indian cookbooks are the best.

We would not consider any other brand. These pressure cookers rival the best SS cookware out there. The large one is great for soups and big roasts; the smaller braiser is perfect for stews and anything where a larger surface comes in handy...great for browning. I'm not sure how practical, though, the 2.5 would be.

KR is the best.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3 View Post
We have the 8 quart KR pressure cooker that is dutch-oven shaped and a 5 quart KR pressure frypan/braiser. Just to clear up any confusion, KR calls it a frypan solely because of its shape. It is most definitely not for frying at all. We purchased it after reading a rousing recommendation from Madhur Jaffrey, whose Indian cookbooks are the best.

We would not consider any other brand. These pressure cookers rival the best SS cookware out there. The large one is great for soups and big roasts; the smaller braiser is perfect for stews and anything where a larger surface comes in handy...great for browning. I'm not sure how practical, though, the 2.5 would be.

KR is the best.
Thank you for your response, SuzyQ3.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Why don't you use the smaller pot? I like the idea of being able to use something smaller that still has the convenience and speed of pressure cooking. Thanks for your response.
I use my pressure cooker mostly for braising - pot roast, beef ribs, lamb shanks, etc., and for cooking beans. All of these types of foods actually are better after a day or two of aging so I generally make enough for at least two or three meals and freeze or refrigerate the leftovers.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
I use my pressure cooker mostly for braising - pot roast, beef ribs, lamb shanks, etc., and for cooking beans. All of these types of foods actually are better after a day or two of aging so I generally make enough for at least two or three meals and freeze or refrigerate the leftovers.
Noted, thank you!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When I had my previous pressure cookers, my family was HUGE so I needed the large capacity.

When my beloved Revere one expired, I went with the KR two-pan set and love the convenience of having a big pan when I need it, such as a big roast or a lot of stew, etc. and a smaller one when I'm preparing something for just the two of us.

I bought the KR set when Buck was still living and we really enjoyed how nice everything turned out. Still only two and I'm just as pleased. No reason not to be, of course.

I purchased the KR upon the recommendation of a very experienced foodie friend who pretty nearly sleeps with theirs. Not really, but they love theirs, too.

As I recall I paid about $149 or $199 for the set on a site that was offering a wonderful deal. Can't remember how long ago it was, but I know it was at least 5 years ago.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Oh this story again? Sheesh....

I told ya - I was traumatized!