Pressure Cooker - Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While both are great cookers, the food scientists/instructors at the French Culinary Institute found the Kuhn Rikon was vastly superior to the Fagor at making stock. The Cliff Notes version is the KR has a superior seal system that prevents aromatics from venting from the cooker. They're not cheap, but I plan on eventually replacing my pressure cooker with a KR.:chef:

Thanks, Rob! I appreciate your response!

I've had the Fagor set for about 2 years and use it frequently. I'm completely satisfied with it although I almost never use the smaller pot.

Incidentally, you cannot pressure fry in either of them, even though Kuhn Ricon refers to their smaller pot as a "pressure fry pan". True pressure frying requires specialized equipment with additional safety features and frys at lower pressure than most pressure cookers. Here's a link to Kuhn Ricon's FAQ about this: Kuhn Rikon Switzerland - Duromatic FAQ: Deep Frying

I don't plan on deep frying or pressure frying, no problem.

Why don't you use the smaller pot? I like the idea of being able to use something smaller that still has the convenience and speed of pressure cooking. Thanks for your response.

We have the 8 quart KR pressure cooker that is dutch-oven shaped and a 5 quart KR pressure frypan/braiser. Just to clear up any confusion, KR calls it a frypan solely because of its shape. It is most definitely not for frying at all. We purchased it after reading a rousing recommendation from Madhur Jaffrey, whose Indian cookbooks are the best.

We would not consider any other brand. These pressure cookers rival the best SS cookware out there. The large one is great for soups and big roasts; the smaller braiser is perfect for stews and anything where a larger surface comes in handy...great for browning. I'm not sure how practical, though, the 2.5 would be.

KR is the best.

We have the 8 quart KR pressure cooker that is dutch-oven shaped and a 5 quart KR pressure frypan/braiser. Just to clear up any confusion, KR calls it a frypan solely because of its shape. It is most definitely not for frying at all. We purchased it after reading a rousing recommendation from Madhur Jaffrey, whose Indian cookbooks are the best.

We would not consider any other brand. These pressure cookers rival the best SS cookware out there. The large one is great for soups and big roasts; the smaller braiser is perfect for stews and anything where a larger surface comes in handy...great for browning. I'm not sure how practical, though, the 2.5 would be.

KR is the best.

Thank you for your response, SuzyQ3.

Why don't you use the smaller pot? I like the idea of being able to use something smaller that still has the convenience and speed of pressure cooking. Thanks for your response.

I use my pressure cooker mostly for braising - pot roast, beef ribs, lamb shanks, etc., and for cooking beans. All of these types of foods actually are better after a day or two of aging so I generally make enough for at least two or three meals and freeze or refrigerate the leftovers.

I use my pressure cooker mostly for braising - pot roast, beef ribs, lamb shanks, etc., and for cooking beans. All of these types of foods actually are better after a day or two of aging so I generally make enough for at least two or three meals and freeze or refrigerate the leftovers.

Noted, thank you!:)

When I had my previous pressure cookers, my family was HUGE so I needed the large capacity.

When my beloved Revere one expired, I went with the KR two-pan set and love the convenience of having a big pan when I need it, such as a big roast or a lot of stew, etc. and a smaller one when I'm preparing something for just the two of us.

I bought the KR set when Buck was still living and we really enjoyed how nice everything turned out. Still only two and I'm just as pleased. No reason not to be, of course.

I purchased the KR upon the recommendation of a very experienced foodie friend who pretty nearly sleeps with theirs. Not really, but they love theirs, too.

As I recall I paid about $149 or $199 for the set on a site that was offering a wonderful deal. Can't remember how long ago it was, but I know it was at least 5 years ago.

When I had my previous pressure cookers, my family was HUGE so I needed the large capacity.

When my beloved Revere one expired, I went with the KR two-pan set and love the convenience of having a big pan when I need it, such as a big roast or a lot of stew, etc. and a smaller one when I'm preparing something for just the two of us.

I bought the KR set when Buck was still living and we really enjoyed how nice everything turned out. Still only two and I'm just as pleased. No reason not to be, of course.

I purchased the KR upon the recommendation of a very experienced foodie friend who pretty nearly sleeps with theirs. Not really, but they love theirs, too.

As I recall I paid about $149 or $199 for the set on a site that was offering a wonderful deal. Can't remember how long ago it was, but I know it was at least 5 years ago.

Thank you, Katie! Looks like KR is ahead in likes. Getting excited about having a newer set.

I ended up getting the Fagor set, I really like it. Also got an updated pressure cooker cook.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

THat set with the pressure cooker and fry pan IS NOT for pressure frying. To my knowledge you can no longer get a home grade pressure cooker that can pressure fry. They are too dangerous and pressure cooker makers don't want to deal with the legal liabilities.

That set includes the pressure cooker pot, lid and a skillet that can also use the pressure cooker lid for pressure coming smaller amounts of things. It is not a pressure fryer.

NEVER EVER use a pressure cooker for pressure frying unless the included instructions tell you you can and tells you how to do it. You can die if it goes wrong.

The safety systems on todays pressure cookers are for regular pressure cooking they will not save you frogs sure frying. The heat build up in pressure frying can easily exceed the heat that some of the safety's can handle. Just don,t do it please!

Other than that enjoy your pressure cooker they Re safe and work great for regular pressure cooking.

Robert

there are several purpose intended home pressure fryers - which (surprise!) double as a "pressure cooker."

but indeed, be sure you know what you're buying . . . .

Can you point out a couple of home pressure fryer please I have not found any at not from any reputable companies.

Robert

I have two Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers. The NYT rightfully called them the "Rolls Royce of pressure cookers." If I wanted to build an IED, I'd start with on of these gadgets. Built like a brick you-know-what but with multiple safety features.

Back
Top Bottom