"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-17-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
I don't think a big cooker would fit on our 4 burner Michael.

I was thinking more towards an 8 litre which would be about 7 quarts (or there abouts). I'm sure that's the size I've been looking at, could be bigger though.

We only have a mandarin tree out the back since I knocked the fig tree over. Preserving is great if you have access to fresh fruit or veg at the right price, unfortunately I haven't the fitness to hook into the gardening like I once did.

A shame really, but not to worry.

Go and do it GB!!

As soon as DW gets home from her "gathering mission" I'm off to the store to pick one up.

If it is a decent size of course. Then I have to get it past DW & think of a good story about how it arrived here.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:45 PM   #12
Master Chef

This is something I remember mom using often. Mom was an awesome cook....she came from the south and could whip up the most amazing meals. I remember the summer before she passed we were at a rummage sale and there was a small pressure cooker and I was going to buy it but she asked that I not because she was afraid I may get burnt by the steam build up in them....I opted against it. Just be extremely careful and be sure to read all the material that comes with it on how to use it safely. Personally, I won't take a chance.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:24 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
No worries Sizzlin, I haven't injured myself for a while now, except for when I cut myself while dicing onions, burnt my finger making caramel, tipped hot water on my foot, got bitten by nextdoor's dog, fell out of the car, walked into the wing of the plane next to ours.

I bit the bullet and have returned home with a small pressure cooker in hand. DW glared as I walked through the door and exclaimed "Well, there goes your Father's Day prezzy!!"

"Don't worry my dear," says I "a carton of beer will do just nicely" :Rofl:

Now all I have to do is learn to drive it properly. The little recipe book they supply with it seems quite good, with things like Poor Man's Lobster. Can't use it tonight, DW has started dinner already.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:27 AM   #14
Senior Cook

ahh pressure cookers!

I am glad that so many of us here have discovered the joys of using these invaluable inventions.

My mom used one as early as the late forties, I have used one all my life, even while camping, especially in Nova Scotia to cook fresh fish. On my first trip to the sunny states it was the main cooking utensil I took with me and I never regretted it.

I wish I could afford a better one than I have, I presently use a Lagostina 5 qt and it does our family of 4 just fine.

It is important to spend some time learning to use it properly but once you get the hang of it there is no problem.

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:56 AM   #15
Master Chef

Wow Brooksy.....you've had your share of accidental moments! Good luck with this new adventure and let us know about your creations.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I've got two - one is around 5qts for family meals, and the other is around 10qts for entertaining/stocks/big stuff.

I love them - if you make a lot of casseroles, stews, curries or soups then you should definately get one. The most likely reason the food was burned on the bottom was because it was cooked on too high a heat...once the thing is sputtering steam then you need to turn the heat down so that you just get a gentle steady hissing. They are also great for cooking ribs in before you add BBQ sauce and grill them. Stick a whole chicken in, along with some veggies and water and you will have cooked chicken meat for recipes and make great stock at the same time.

Unless you are cooking everything in bulk, I wouldn't get one of the large canning types because you will have more of a 'burnt bottom' risk if you try to cook a small quantity in a large pan. Also remember that you can only fill these things between 1/2 and 2/3 full - so bear that in mind when choosing your size.

Paint.

P.S....Wow! things happen fast on this board - I see you already bought one LOL! I'm sure it didn't take me that long to type this message! You have the same mindset as me...I buy stuff and then if & when hubby notices it, I claim that it's 'been in the cupboard for years dear' LOL!
Don't worry that DW has started supper - you can maybe whip up some soup for lunch tomorrow with the leftovers?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
This is something I remember mom using often. Mom was an awesome cook....she came from the south and could whip up the most amazing meals. I remember the summer before she passed we were at a rummage sale and there was a small pressure cooker and I was going to buy it but she asked that I not because she was afraid I may get burnt by the steam build up in them....I opted against it. Just be extremely careful and be sure to read all the material that comes with it on how to use it safely. Personally, I won't take a chance.
Don't worry Sizzlin, they have improved the design of pressure cookers immensely over the years and are now chock full of great safety features :)

Paint.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:16 PM   #18
DC Grandma

My Parents use a very large one when I was growing up..5 kids to feed so it took a large one..LOL

DH won one at Bingo right after we were married..1954. We have had one in our kitchen since then. Love to put a pot roast, Veg. soup or beans in mine if I didn't plan on using the slow cooker in time for dinner.
Wouldn't be without one.
Marge

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #19
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
I love my electric pressure cooker

I have a Wolfgang Puck Electric Pressure Cooker. I like it because the cookbook tells you exactly what temperature to use. You can also use it to deep fry food without using the lid. It makes wonderful soup and very tender artichokes.
Yes, I am afraid of it and don't get close to it unless I have to when it is cooking. I guess that is because I did not grow up with one.
I probably wouldn't have bought it if I did not get it at a discount store. I think they are sold on the Home shopping channel which also has customer reviews of their products.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I love my pressure cooker!!!!! I vote a big YES.

Gerrycook - if you have a newer one there are several safety features that prevent it from opening when the pressure is too high. But a good dose of respect for it isn't a bad thing!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote