"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #21
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
pressure cooker

kitchenelf,
I have not used it very much yet. I will be using it more in the winter.
One time I forgot to close the valve when I started it. I thought it sounded strange and turned it off. Allof the water had escaped as steam. I gues it takes some getting used to.
Some day I will have to tell you about getting hit with a double boiler.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:24 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Paint, as soon as I got an affirmative answer I was straight down the shop. No mucking around. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated.

I've seen the electric ones on the web, but not available locally , they look good.

I can still remember my mum's big heavy job with a wieght that went over the steam outlet pipe as the regulator. When pressure attained the weight would bounce around as the steam escaped. One day (as a little kid) I was looking for a heavy sinker for fishing, to long cast & holdposition in the current. I tied the PC weight onto my line and casted it out, never to be seen again. Gee it went a long way . Mum was furious, because it couldn't be replaced. I think that old PC was off the ark.

The one I've bought has an indicator that shows 10 psi and 15 psi. The idea is to keep the indicators showing & a whisp of steam from the regulator V/v. If the relief V/v goes off the pressure is too high.

Works quite well, I made Far Eastern Pepper Steak last night but used heavy soy instead of light soy & DW is not a soy fan like me Next time I'll use 1/3 quantity of heavy soy because I love my light soy too much to cook with it.

I hope to do some fish as well Charlotte, I've got a recipe for Haddock in cheese sauce that looks really nice and really quick - time at pressure about 3 minutes for a kilo of fish.

I get used to having a bump or 2 Sizzlin, as the old saying goes, "If you don't make mistakes, you're not having a go."

I'm of to the plane now, but I'll post the recipe I mentioned later today when I get back or tomorrow when I log on.

Do you guys think that a Pressure Cooking forum is required or simply post recipes to existing forums labelled "PC" in the title?

Thank you all for your input, I'm sure I'm not the only one to be educated by the experts.

Old 08-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I hope this is OK to do. I have a brand new pressure cooker that I would be happy to sell for the best offer plus shipping. I confess that I bought a pressure cooker so I could make KFC at home & then found out that I need a pressure fryer - that a pressure cooker is not a safe way to do KFC in oil! This is the one I have - the 8 qt size in stainless steel.
http://www.manttra.com/cgi-bin/produ...i?pcode=QES_SS

corinne@macrobyte.net
Old 08-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #24
Head Chef

Ok you guys! I've been waffling on the pressure cooker notion for years! I think you all just kicked me off the fence - and I was getting used to the pickett marks!

I didn't grow up with one either so I've been afraid of them - I was gifted with a small one - waaayyyy too small to be of much use so I never used it

We are a family of 2 but there've been many times I've wanted to can something that needs to go into the pressure canner so the notion of one big enough to do both appeals to me. Would that be too much for the chicken and veggies that were mentioned?

DH received a bonus and split it w/me so I've a few $$ in my pocket and couldn't think of anything to spend them on!

Any suggestions about brands? Or a size that would do for both regular cooking and a small load of canning?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #25
Master Chef

Generally - a pressure cooker in the 10+ quart size is considered a pressure canner/cooker - since it can handle pint or quart jars. These usually come with two racks - one for holding jars and the other for cooking (to elevate the food up off the bottom of the pot).

Naturally - the larger it is (in qts) the more it will hold for canning. You just have to read the specs on each pot. What size you need depends on if your canning 1/2 pints, pints, quarts - and how many you have to process.

In the US - Mirro and Presto are probably the most popular because of the initial cost. They both use rubber sealing gaskets that need to be replaced every couple of years (but you can pick these up at an ACE Hardware store for under $10). The other brand is All American - which doesn't need a rubber gasket and costs up to double that of Mirro or Presto, depending on where you get them. The Mirro and Presto usually just clamp in two places - the All American will have 6-8 clamping spots (look like the ones they use on Iron Chef).

Here are the Google search results for each brand (to give you a starting point)

Mirro

Presto

All American
Old 08-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #26
Head Chef

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going with the All American 10 1/2 qt looks just right for me!

What an adventure!

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2005, 03:56 PM   #27
DC Grandma

Corinne,
Don't you think you would ever use it for other things?
The postage would be high since they are so heavy.
Marge~Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove
Corinne,
Don't you think you would ever use it for other things?
The postage would be high since they are so heavy.
Marge~Dove
You're right - it's heavy. I've had it for a couple years & never used it - I am trying to simplify my life. We have way too much stuff in this house. I have a lot of things that I was hanging onto, thinking my son might want them when he settled down. Since he died, I am getting rid of & letting go of things that I have no use for.

All I really wanted to do with it was make KFC!!! Truthfully, I don't know what else to do with it! Maybe I oughta invest in a PC cookbook or something. Or it could be the gift for the next wedding we're invited to!

Corinne
Old 08-21-2005, 10:22 PM   #29
Master Chef

DON'T try to use your pressure cooker for a pressure fryer unless the instructions that came with it say you can!!!

Read THIS to understand why!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Oh, Michael! Don't worry - I won't do that. I've read enough to have the fear of God put into me if I were to try that! That's why the thing is still in the box!