"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #51
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushy
Being poor, I'm looking at ebay, and the smallest ones are few and far between - 4 qt and 6 qt models are all over the place.
Fair enough. Since I do not have any first hand experience with a pc I really can't answer that for you, but I am sure someone else will be able to soon.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

A 6-quart PC will easily handle the majority of cooking chores you would ask of it, depending on the size of your family. 4 and 6 quart sizes are the most popular for that reason.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis

My question to the group is, can you cook frozen food in one?
I work at home and usually have plenty of time to get a meal ready. My problem is taking meat out of the freezer in order to thaw it properly. I certainly wouldn't mind something that speeds up the cooking process, whether it will allow me to cook with fozen food, or allow faster preparation if the food isn't thawed until 8:30 that night.
If the meals aren't as tasty as slow cooking methods, the positives of PC cooking may not outweigh the negatives in my case.
As one who is thinking along exactly these lines, but knows almost zero about food prep:

Could either of these schemes work, and if so, are there reasons not to:

A. If the item is relatively thin, could one nuke it into submission? Microwaves cook from the inside out, and I'm concerned that an entire roast might get confused as to what temp. it should be, and I've noticed that most foods intended to be nuked are about 1" thick.

B. Place meat in waterproof plastic bag, place bag in p/c, cover with water and bring the pot up to temp. With the lid OFF! If this could work, you'd end up with the meat ready to cook and the cooker already close to working temp.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 AM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushy
...Microwaves cook from the inside out...
Actually, just the opposite. Microwaves only penetrate about an inch into a piece of meat and heat that part. The heat then transfers deeper into the meat, similar to they way it does in a conventional oven.

The quickest good ways to defrost meats are under cold running water or on a heavy aluminum piece such as a heavy pot or griddle.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #55
Sous Chef

There is no savored flavor using a pressure cooker. All the nutrition is simply killed. And the food is always overdone!

While I've had the exact opposite experience with both flavor and correct amount of cooking in my pressure cookers, I'm curious as to your statement regarding nutrition. Do you have anything that backs that up? Because I was under the impression that pressure cooking is particularly healthful.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:36 PM   #56
Cook

I just picked up this set
http://www.cookwareessentials.com/Fagor-918060778-FGR1009.html
The first time I used it I had the burnt bottom problem so I re-read the instructions & corrected my mistake (waited too long to reduce the heat after pressurization). Since then I've been impressed with the flavors & the technology (old as it may be). Lately I've been playing with a 45-minuet beef burgundy and the flavors are great. It's like many kitchen tools, use it for what it's good at & experiment with it.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #57
Sous Chef

Pressure cookers are not expensive. Look here. Most will have free shipping over $25.
Amazon.com: pressure cooker

I have bought the Presto for our Denver children. I have a T-Fal that is unfortunately no longer available ($40 on Amazon). It has a wonderful digital timer mechanism.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

Wink

Let me correct some of the ongoing false assumptions about pressure cookery before too many people come away with misinformation.

There are significant differences between the old-fashioned 'jiggle-top' models and today's sleek new, modern pressure cookers with all the qualities of the best cookware and advanced engineering technology. Grandma's vintage version is iike a horse and buggy in comparison to a showroom Mercedes.

Many people make the common mistake of over-cooking foods in the pressure cooker. Using the incorrect pressure release method and selecting the wrong cooking method are other errors make by novice users. Pressure cookers have changed considerably over the years, with the greatest improvements occurring in the last decade with the introduction of the modern spring-valve models.

I love to cook, but I'm not a kitchen drudge, so the pressure cooker is my number one cooking tool. I cook everything from breakfast to desserts in a pressure cooker. Perfect risotto in 7 minutes, hard-boiled eggs in 5 minutes, a whole 'roast chicken' in 20 minutes, pulled pork for BBQ sandwiches in 35 minutes, and a bundt mold carrotcake in 25 minutes.

It's a well-known 'secret' that herbs and spices bloom, and flavors are actually enhanced in a pressure cooker, and that means less salt is used in cooking. There is a marked nutritional benefit in using the new, closed-system pressure cookers. Because foods are rapidly steamed in an airless environment where very little liquid is used, more vitamins and essential nutrients are preserved. Think bright, tender-crisp vegetables and delicate seafood… yes, a 3 minute 'stir-fry' in a pressure cooker.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Are you the Miss Vickie of the EXCELLENT pressure cooker site!! It is a wonderful resource. PCs today are NOT your mother's PC. They are a very fine kitchen tool and do not overcook, make tasteless, etc. food.

Even if you aren't, here is an excellent site
Miss Vickie's Pressure Cooker Recipes
Old 02-23-2007, 05:19 PM   #60
Sous Chef

An excellent pressure cooker risotto milanese that never fails:

RISOTTO MILANESE
Pressure-Cooker Method

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
1 cup arborio rice
2 cups low-fat chicken stock
1/4 cup vermouth or dry white wine
1/8 teaspoon crushed saffron
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a pressure cooker over high heat. Add the onion, cook, stirring, until translucent, about 2 minutes.

Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds until the outer edges turn translucent.

Add the stock, wine, and saffron.

Cover and bring to high pressure over high heat.

Reduce heat to stabilize pressure. Cook 7 minutes.

Quick-release pressure and remove cover.

Stir in white pepper, salt, butter, and Parmesan.

Let sit for 2 minutes before serving.

Makes 4 Servings