Pressure cookers again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
what do u find are the best? electric or stove top pressure cookers?can you tell me why you like the one you chose.

i would lean toward electric, seems would be less scary. :cool:

How long would an electric take to heat up compared to a stovetop model?

The electric gives you an extra burner on the stove for when you're entertaining.

The safety mechanisms are in the pressure cooker. They will provide safe operation regardless of the heat source.

extra burner on stove sounds like the way to go for me. at this moment electric it is

That's a good reason.

But keep in mind you use a pressure cooker to cook food faster and the plug-in version will be slower than the stovetop model. It will take longer to get to operating temperature but once it does, there would be no difference in cooking times.

I really like my Fagor electric. It has buttons for browning, high and low pressure, slow cooking, and rice cooking. It has helped me cook many wonderful meals. The cookbook that came with it is great, plus Lorna Sass's books, and Miss Vickie, of course. I don't have much counter space, but the temporary loss is totally worth it to me. The thing heats up really quickly when I hit the "brown" button, and since I've never used a stove top pressure cooker (well, not since my mother's in the late 60s), I can't really compare the electric time-wise to a stove top model. I have a glass top stove and they aren't very nimble when it comes to changing temperatures quickly. I use my cooker at least twice a week, and have for the last year and it has been flawless for me.

I am a pressure cooker advocate! They are really not scary once you know what the sounds mean. I have about 5 in different sizes. To big canners and then a 4, 6, and 8 quart. Once they start singing, turn down the heat. Timing can be hard at first. Never cook anything that can overcook fast (ie, cabbage). It's great for soups and stews and mashed potatoes.

?

I guess it is all personl preferance.Once the pot is up to pressure it takes very little heat to maintain that pressure.I chose my stove top models because that is what I wanted.The less electronics the better.I plan on haveing my good cooker for many many years and that is something you can't count on when electronics are involved.Regardless of your choice you are going to love it.

As others have said, once you get the hang of using a pressure cooker it is one of those appliances you will use on a regular basis. As to whether you get the electric model or a stovetop model, it is a matter of choice. I have a stovetop model and just love the results it gives me.

If you are looking for a pressure cooker/canner you might find this review helpful
Best Pressure Canners: All American Pressure Canner Cooker Review

Back
Top Bottom